Light Questions

wonkothesane

I just bought a leopard gecko a few days ago from *****. I have a 10g glass aquarium, I'm heating it with a UTH and a red heat lamp on top. I have a dimmer switch hooked up right now to regulate the temp. In the future I plan to get a thermostat for a more constant regulation.

I understand that they need warmer temps during the day and a little cooler at night, and about 12 hours of each from what I've read. What I can't seem to determine is how regular do the hours of light and dark need to be. I live in an apartment and don't have a secluded place to put the cage. The room is pretty bright by 7am, and will stay lit from the sun or overhead lighting till when I go to sleep, sometimes midnight sometimes as late as 2 am. Is this irregular light schedule in the room going to be okay for the gecko as long as I'm keeping the temperature on a regular schedule?

Any advice would be great, thanks.

`Wonko

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
My geckos are all in the living room and dining room. Sometimes I'm up in there till 1am. I just do what I do and don't worry about it. They are all fine as far as I can tell.

Aliza

ariana

as long as it has hides it should be ok,
it can go into its hide to get away from the light, but if youre really worried about it you could put a towel over part of the aquarium when you think its time for it to be dark for the little fellar.

Visit our friends