lights?

earls413

I've heard that lights can hurt a geckos eyes. Is this true. I would love to provide some light for my gecko maybe a few hours a day. He is much more active when I have a light on, when I don't he stays hidden alot. Any suggestions on a safe light.

Khrysty

I've heard that lights can hurt a geckos eyes. Is this true. I would love to provide some light for my gecko maybe a few hours a day. He is much more active when I have a light on, when I don't he stays hidden alot. Any suggestions on a safe light.

Lights are fine, just as long as you're not trying to use them as a primary heat source. They won't hurt the gecko. Use a "dayglo" light or something similar to simulate a proper photoperiod if your gecko is in a room that doesn't get a lot of light during the day. If the room is well lit, though (like if there are a lot of windows in it), then don't bother. It isn't necessary.

You can also get a "nightglo," a blue bulb, or an infrared bulb, for nighttime viewing.

earls413

I have a reptiglo that I used with my turtles and a light that produces heat don't remember the name of that one, he's more active with that one. Haven't tried the reptiglo with him yet didn't know if he needed uvb

Khrysty

Leopard geckos don't need UVB, as they are nocturnal and the vitamin D3 that they do need, they should be getting from their vitamin supplements. If he's more active with the heat bulb, then perhaps it's not the light, but he heat that he's enjoying. Getting his temps up might make him a bit more active (and help with his digestion).

earls413

I just moved him to a much larger tank my uth may need to be bigger and today is his first day on tile they don't seem to be getting as hot

pawsible

Pawsible
There are two types of lighting in the world of herpetology. There is uv lighting which comes in the form of a fluorescent tube. This kind gives off UV-A and some UV-B (which synthesizes D3 and speeds the uptake of calcium in all animals) but not much heat to speak of. Many lizards and tortoises need this kind of light because it somewhat duplicates the sun's effects. Leopard Geckos DO NOT need this type of lighting. Leopard Geckos are nocturnal (awake at night) and never bask in the sun in their native homeland. They get their D3 from the gut-loaded insects that you feed them with the occasional dusting of calcium with D3 added.
Depending on the size of the cage you are heating and the temperature of your home you might need anywhere from a 40 watt to a 100 watt bulb. If you need more than that you should probably invest in a Ceramic Heat Element (CHE).
**Lighting is as important for viewing the reptiles as it is for heat, of course. For this reason, many people decide to use a red light bulb that admits little heat and is not visible to the lizards for night viewing.
Temps:
The warm end should ideally be around ninety degrees Fahrenheit, with the cooler end around eighty. An under tank heater is one of the best ways to accomplish this.At night, allow the tank to cool to the low seventies, with an under tank pad providing a hot spot. Don't allow the night temperature to sink below sixty-eight degrees, since this can also be bad for your reptiles.
------------------------------------------------
We are Leopard Gecko enthusiasts who were tired of finding incomplete information about our pet Geckos. We enlisted the help of some serious gecko enthusiasts,breeders,owners, and veterinarians who helped us compile information.
http://www.theultimateleopardgeckomanual.com

Visit our friends