Looking for Barred Tiger Salamanders

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Ok so my younger son keeps going back and forth on the fence between a hopper (frog/toad) and now Barred tiger salamnders (stupid youtube). He loves the looks fo the salamnder since it looks like a gecko with the colors but easier for him to handle and no nails (he hates getting scratched little tho it may be, it freaks him out). He knows he wouldn't be able to handle it much since it is an amphibian, but then again he wouldn't be able to handle any amphibian that much, but like I mentioned he's more of a take out and let it wander around the room kidna guy rather than sit and hold it (that's what his bunnies are for :) ). His thrill is more in the feeding part of it all. He LOVES the feeding thing. I'm not too thrilled that most frogs that he's been looking at need to eat crickets (whites tree frog, white lipped tree frog, waxy moneky frog) as I HATE keeping crickets so a salamander would be keen since night crawlers would be their staple. We have a TON of night crawlers in our compost pile and a bait shop less than a mile away.

So anywho... would anyone know a reputable place to find a nice barred tiger salamander. I've seen the green and black spotted on fauna... not what he wants... maybe even a blotchy if it was yellow and not brown/green, but he really digs the barred, and honestly I kinda do too.

Looking for this:
IPSIF00Z.jpg

Maybe this:
AMBTIG-06RDB.jpg

Not this:
Salamander2.jpg

I know they are all wild caught, and that their breeding season isn't for a while yet but I'd like to get a little bt of a head start so if you know a site or a person who's into them, please let me know.

Last edited:

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
not sure about where to purchase, but they are found here in texas. here is a pic i took at the west texas herp society's table.

2cmlkpe.jpg

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
That would be the one... would actually prefer texas barred tiger as they are a little mroeheat tolereant, but doesn't do me much good tho if it was at a show... No way I can go to west texas :) that's just a tease :) West texas herp society huh... got any contact info for them by chance?

Visit our friends