Man made sand= bad / Natural= good. So can you buy natural?

Neville

Snow Gecko
Do they make a natural sand for lizards? I figure if the problem with man made is theyre blocks, well why not use real sand.

Knibitz

Pet Owner
I don't think anyone's ever said that natural sand was good. It's just not bad for them.
why bother risking it and why bother with the mess?
There are much safer and cleaner alternatives.

the sand discussion is one that's been beaten to death over and over again.

Last edited:

Neville

Snow Gecko
Well natural sand doesnt block their digestive system like man made. Sure the topics been beaten to death but this isnt the same as asking if I should use sand from the store. I know thats bad and I know its sold in pet shops.
Right now I use a carpet but really want sand for him and I refuse to buy the man made sand so figured they might sell natural sand. And like you said, its not bad for them.
I could put my gecko in a white rubber room to make sure he was completely safe from anything but since theyre not native to white rubber rooms, I figure a terrarium with some natural sand and rocks might be nice.

Knibitz

Pet Owner
well if you want to make your gecko completely safe, then you might as well take out all your hides as well :p avoid scratches, and don't touch it because you will give it a disease.
I'm not saying that.

But there's such a huge issue with sand. I wouldn't put sand in a tank unless I could go out to the desert and get some, and even then you run issues with sanitation and what else is in that sand.
Having to bake it periodically to disinfect it.

Neville

Snow Gecko
Well thats what I was asking. Like, are there any places that get natural sand from say a desert and disinfect it then sell. Or something like that. I have some rocks that are in his tank which I got while out in the desert and I boiled and baked the shit out of them. :)

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I'm not sure what is available in Canada, but home improvement stores in the US like Home Depot or Lowes carry bags of washed play sand, it is a natural sand and costs about $3 for a 50 lb bag.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I think you're talking about silica sand vs quartz sand? The grains of quartz sand have rounded edges where silica sand have sharp edges; so the quartz sand will be much safer if swallowed.

(I use "Jurrasic Sand" for my knobtails, its natural quartz sand from desert.)

Visit our friends