Moist hide....Warm or Room temp?

JConley

I have a large cave/rock hide with moist coconut Husk in it for my leos, Should that be in the room temp side of the tank or in the warm side of the tank?

I have 3 temp zones in the tank now

1. 66-75 <-- This is the zone i have it in now!
2. 75-85
3. 85-92

rhino43grr

HERE WE GO STEELERS
it's really a matter of preference, mine is on the cooler side but some people are convinced that it absolutely has to be on the hot side. i think that having it on the hot side just means you have to moisten it more often and i've had no problems with shedding so far with it being on the cool side, in fact it's his favorite spot in the whole tank.

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
I think it's best being in one of the lesser warm zones of the tank. One reason was mentioned already, that being it will retain moisture longer there.

The other would be that when the substrate in the hide is re-moistened, it causes a huge spike in humidity in the enclosure. Leopard Geckos being naturally from a drier region of the world as they are, I can't imagine that this would have a positive affect on their respiratory system over the long term.

Having the humid hide in a cooler region of the enclosure I'd say is probably best. :main_yes:

moosassah

I have a magnetic rock with the top chamber filled with packed eco earth. I moisten that & keep it in the middle of the tank. When I notice they are about to shed I will wet the paper towels that are on the UTH end of the tank.

Visit our friends