Mold in Most hide

LeopardGeckoGirlie

There is white-ish fluffy mold growing in my moist hide. It's a plastic container with moistened sphagnum moss inside and Pinky loves sitting in it. She has a history of difficult shedding so I think she really needs it. I'm worried about the mold though....with the moist environment and warm temp I just don't see how I can prevent it. Will it hurt my gecko?

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Are you sure it's Sphagnum moss? Sphagnum is usually pretty mold resistant. Also, be sure she didn't poop in there, thats a good way for mold to start. A couple options would be to change the medium to coco fiber or even damp paper towels, and if you have the entrance hole in the side change it to the top, top entrance hides tend to dry out a bit faster than those with side entrances, and I think too much humidity is the problem.

cryptid_hunter

Another way to remedy the problem is just change out the moss every few days. I use the forest moss you can buy in compressed bricks for like 4 to 5 bucks, so you'll have tons and frequent changing won't hurt your wallet/pocketbook....

I get deli cups and fill them halfway with dripping wet perlite and then top the perlite off with the moss, then set the little coconut hut on top, and that's how I do my moist hides/lizard saunas so they double as lay hides too, and my AFT's love them. It also keeps them off the ground so I can leave some crickets in with them to snack on when I'm not there without the crickets bothering them any. And when the hides start to get dry I just mist them really good. But putting one of those hides over the UTH makes a nice sauna, and mine stay in those 95% of the time.

Visit our friends