my 75g for now..........

Marr

addict
tops coming.........still gotta make a movable arm for my light,and get it mounted better,and change out all the hides too something a little more natural..........those tupperware containers are some ugly lol.............and wanna get some safe live plants in there also.............lookin for a nice 3d background also.........

75ggeckotank.jpg

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
You've got some great rocks just sitting there under the tank, I bet you cold make some decent hides for her with those and get rid of the tupperware if you don't like it.

Marr

addict
You've got some great rocks just sitting there under the tank, I bet you cold make some decent hides for her with those and get rid of the tupperware if you don't like it.

man great minds must think alike i have a pile of other thinner slabs im going too glue together for just that purpose.........just didn't mention it lol..........its elite granite flag stone nice stuff,heffy tag though lol

Marr

addict
I could be wrong...but I thought the bark was bad for most reptiles? I just tend to double check on things :p

the breeder i got them from loves the stuff,she hates slate lol.............bag says"excellent substrate for green iguanas and all other humidity loving reptiles"...........and almost every gecko variant is listed on the back of the bag...........

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I like that you want a more natural set up. If you want, my set up is really natural as well, lots of stone, there's some great pix in my user profile photo album if you'd like to see. Maybe it could give you some ideas. Also I didn't think the bark was a good idea either esp. for a desert rock dwelling creature like a leo. Have you considered an alternative substrait? Also I didn't believe that leopard geckos were humidity loving creatures. They're from an arid region. I think someone might have been a bit misinformed. Btw there are alternatives to slate when considering tile substrait. Mine is vinyl simulated slate. High end tiles with a great texture. Not as smooth as slate or ceramic tiles.

Last edited:

prettyinpink

To be blunt...it doesn't matter what the bag says :p They sell sprays for reptiles to 'promote shedding' but vets will kill you if you use them, because that's where you'll be bringing them to if you end up using them.

Honestly I'd suggest switching to tile... that bark isn't good. You can get some really nice tile, I use slate. It heats the tank nicely and they even have natural looking ones. You can get ones that feel like sand, or ones that look and have the texture of rocks. Drive to your local Home Depot and take a look at all the tile they have to choose from, it's pretty cheap too and EASY to clean.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
To be blunt...it doesn't matter what the bag says :p They sell sprays for reptiles to 'promote shedding' but vets will kill you if you use them, because that's where you'll be bringing them to if you end up using them.

Honestly I'd suggest switching to tile... that bark isn't good. You can get some really nice tile, I use slate. It heats the tank nicely and they even have natural looking ones. You can get ones that feel like sand, or ones that look and have the texture of rocks. Drive to your local Home Depot and take a look at all the tile they have to choose from, it's pretty cheap too and EASY to clean.

Plus they'll usually cut it to size for you too.

Marr

addict
I like that you want a more natural set up. If you want, my set up is really natural as well, lots of stone, there's some great pix in my user profile photo album if you'd like to see. Maybe it could give you some ideas. Also I didn't think the bark was a good idea either esp. for a desert rock dwelling creature like a leo. Have you considered an alternative substrait? Also I didn't believe that leopard geckos were humidity loving creatures. They're from an arid region.

i really like the look of this stuff,i'm going to give it a go,my friends geckos have been housed on it for quite some time now with out issues,all toes are down and i was just quoting what was on the bag,i understand there not a humidity loving creature............theres going to be more rock in there,id say 30% of the floor space will be the repti bark........i want more ledges for them too climb on

Marr

addict
i guess from the accidental ingestion point of view,which i did consider right from the start,although i cant see the adults being dumb enough too take a piece down being the size it is,but who knows,better safe then sorry,ill go look at some slate tomorrow.........dam this stuff looks so nice lol..........oh well you guys know best lol...........thanks for the input.........

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Just think of it like this... so much easier to clean and more natural than bark. After all how much bark do you see in a rocky desert? Plus slate won't harbor bacteria like the bark could

Marr

addict
Just think of it like this... so much easier to clean and more natural than bark. After all how much bark do you see in a rocky desert? Plus slate won't harbor bacteria like the bark could

i know its all personal preference,in the look of the enclosure,i personally think the slate looks like crap, did some research,and the bark won't hurt them in any way from what i can find,but just too be sure ill lose it.ill hide the ugly slate with as much rock as i can lol...........i mean they are worth more too me than the look of the tank...........and want them around for many years too come.....

wakeskate420

I've used Eco earth for almost a year now with no problems, and they love to dig in it too, but I do feed supers in a bowl to reduce impaction risk

Marr

addict
I've used Eco earth for almost a year now with no problems, and they love to dig in it too, but I do feed supers in a bowl to reduce impaction risk

i'm starting too think this is just like the big debate with silica in aquariums lol,lots swear it dose damage internally,ingesting it,some dose but i've used the polished stuff for 5+ years no issues,and i house the most touchy stuff out there wild tangs,even the burrowing,scaleless stuff i have(ie.loaches)..........dose extremely well...........take the right precautions feeding like you have,stay up on routine cleaning,no issues

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
What about a compromise. You can do like 1/2 and 1/2 thing. Do the hot side a nice piece of slate or a few of your larger pieces of flat stone to cover the bottom, then the cool side you can do with the bark. Like Jake Said, you can make sure you feed out of a dish on the slate side since you have a big tank, then the risk of impaction is pretty much relieved. You get to keep the look of your bark, & the easy to heat rock that is more natural for him. Best of both worlds

Kinda like my son's ball python's 90 gallon tank. But his is bark and stone. *sorry for the horrid pic. It was all I had*
353281066629_-_copy-urG0U.jpeg

That could look really nice I think. :main_yes: Also with all the extra height you have maybe even build a seperate elevated feeding platform kinda like on the right of this tank, then you wouldn't even need to worry about the bark or impaction, just feed him up there.

Last edited:

Marr

addict
What about a compromise. You can do like 1/2 and 1/2 thing. Do the hot side a nice piece of slate or a few of your larger pieces of flat stone to cover the bottom, then the cool side you can do with the bark. Like Jake Said, you can make sure you feed out of a dish on the slate side since you have a big tank, then the risk of impaction is pretty much relieved. You get to keep the look of your bark, & the easy to heat rock that is more natural for him. Best of both worlds

Kinda like my son's ball python's 90 gallon tank. But his is bark and stone. *sorry for the horrid pic. It was all I had*
353281066629_-_copy-urG0U.jpeg

That could look really nice I think. :main_yes: Also with all the extra height you have maybe even build a seperate elevated feeding platform kinda like on the right of this tank, then you wouldn't even need to worry about the bark or impaction, just feed him up there.

thanks for the reference,your sons tank looks awesome,but i am also really liking your point on cleaning lol,would be much less work,and with the all fish i should make it easier on myself lol,ill just hide the slate,best i can,and try to draw more focus to the 3d background and plan on making one so i can incorporate a second level like you were saying........

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Did you see my tank? Even tho it is vinyl tile a lot of iit is covered with the decor and you barely see it. I also provided my leo a litterbox so that clean up was even easier. It is just a tie box cut to size and wrapped in duct tape (you can make it more attrative) filled with some desert sand and baited with his poo. He uses it all the time.

eros_tank_1-11__2_-wU5ti.jpeg

Last edited:

Visit our friends