My gecko is acting kinda funny

Matt7082

My gecko normally shakes the top of his tail when hunting food. Tonight he’s been trotting around the enclosure in a funny stride. There wasn’t any food in his cage with him. He’s just walking around a little faster than usual and constantly shaking his tail. I’ve never seen him behave like this before. Right now he laying in the hide box on the warm side of the enclosure. Curious if he is trying to tell me something.

indyana

I depends what type of tail shaking. Males do something called a rattle where they vibrate their tail quickly against the ground. This can be excitement, territorial display, or courting females. There's also a slower wave in the air that is usually defensive when they feel threatened.

This link describes the different tail body language pretty well.

Matt7082

He was waving it in the air. It did look like a defensive posture, which is what really made me question it. Weird. That’s for the info!

Rubyeyes

Do you have him in a cage? I’m guessing it’s a tank because he may be seeing his reflection and getting defensive. My girl did all of those tail things. Unfortunately the glass tanks affect their vision.

Visit our friends