My leo won’t eat

LokiLeoGecko

Hello!

I’m a new gecko keeper, I got my leo in April. He’s around 7 months old now, he’d eat mealworms in the beginning, then we switched to superworms, which he would eat only one per feeding (everyday). He wouldn’t want more, which concerned me, but he seemed satisfied. Recently I switched to crickets, he ate only one per feeding though. Now, he won’t eat neither a cricket nor a superworm.
I should also note, that my lil guy ran off in the night four days ago. (The doors were not secured properly), I found him at 5am behind some boxes, not so far from his tank, sleeping. Now, the nights are cold here, and since he wasn’t anywhere mear his heating mat, he must have been cold. I usually fed him at 5:30am, he’d take food in the evening too, though.

- I don’t think it’s the supplements I give him, as he won’t take not-dusted meal.
- He is not having trouble breathing, his eyes and nostrils are clean.
- He sneezed a day ago, which concerns me.
- I do take him out almost everyday, he loves to walk under the blanket i am covered with. When I scratched the surface of the blanket, he came running towards my fingers in a “hunting” like style. I tried to give him food right after, but he just squinted his eyes and ignored it.
- I have seen him drinking his water, so he is hydrated.
- His substrate is paper towels.
- Before he was pooping, it looked like a normal, healthy gecko poop.
- I catched him licking his bum today after I heard him making a weird, loud sound. Is there any way he could have reached sexual maturity and he’s going through “puberty”? I heard geckos stop eating for a while if they do. But he doesn’t seem aggressive nor territorial.

I also wanted to say that he came in pretty thin, he gained up some weight but I still feel as he should be a bit bulkier. He’s 44grams right now (almost 7 months). When he came in he was around 25grams.

Could it be that the weather turned from hot to cold really rapidly? I’m very concerned and saddened by this, I am really scared, because I love this lil guy with my entire heart.

I hope someone on here will help.
5F9FBDA6-9D1D-4A4A-9D87-199F296CEE8B.jpeg

Samcman

He could possibly be going through brumation you could try not offering any food for a week and then see if he will take something. Make sure he is worm enough(I suggest using a deep heat projector to keep the inside of the tank work during those cod nights).

LokiLeoGecko

well turns out my leo is just picky when it comes to hides. He adores his coconut hide and would stay in it for most of the time, while he wouldn’t even look at his warm hide — he’d rather sleep on the warmed up rocks than in his warm hide. I switched things up, his favourite hide is on the warm side now and he started eating perfectly. He just hates his bark hide I guess.

Visit our friends