My New DIY Rack

Neon Aurora

After a lot of work, we finally finished my DIY rack. It houses 21 adult leopard geckos using 16 qt tubs with 1/8'' gaps on the tops for air. The rods on each level are to ensure that each shelf is evenly spaced. We used thin wood to save space and money, but this method worked fine. The rods also double to help prevent the bins from being shifted. I like this because if the reptile room door is ever left open, my cat or dogs are less likely to be able to work the bins out.

Sorry for the crap pictures. My camera refuses to work well in the lighting of that room (which is admittedly pretty bad).

fDVTcFh.jpg

We gave it little cubbies for a bit of storage space.
It also includes a little box for both the wiring for all of the heat tape and for the Herpstat to sit in. I was a little bit worried about the Herpstat overheating in the little box, but so far it hasn't gotten very warm in there.
It also has locking wheels to make my life easier (totally worth it).

qHtCHFr.jpg

Each shelf is equipped with 3 foot strips of 4'' THG heat tape secured to the shelves with double-sided tape (the kind designed for this heat tape), all wired together in a continuous circuit and plugged into a Herpstat 1. All of the wires are consolidated into the black tube that runs down the side of the rack so it looks nice. There are quite a lot of wires, so I'm glad we were able to hide them in the little Herpstat box.
We are planning on installing switches later so that heat tape on some shelves can be turned off so it isn't running needlessly when the rack isn't full.

5M77MiJ.jpg

It works like a charm and I'm super happy with it!

Last edited:

_Lucian_

Nice. I'm planning on building a gecko rack here soon, but on a super budget. I'm gonna use corrugated staralite shelves.

Sent from my A521L using Tapatalk

Neon Aurora

Good luck. =) I suppose this one turned out to be not super cheap, but I still think it was cheaper than buying commercial racks to house the same number of geckos. Plus, it will last a long time. Most of the expense was all of the heat tape I had to buy.

Visit our friends