My new heating system

AliMak

I am changing from a red bulb hooked up to a thermostat, to some under floor heating. With tiles as the flooring. (is that what UTH is when ive seen it on the site Under Tile Heating?!):main_huh:

anywho ive bought the tiles, having them cut to size tomorrow. And also buying the heat mat tomorrow.

now my questions are.... Do i need a spacer between the tile and heat mat, like some little blocks of wood to raise it off the floor?

Do i need to prepare the bottom of the viv, like put some foil down under the heat mat to reflect it upwards?

Should i make it so the tiles slot together closely or leave a little gap between them for air to get underneath the tiles?

About the gaps, if i do have them like that should i fill the cracks in a little with something to stop crickets or anything falling down under the tiles?!

Last 1! With the heat mat hooked up to the thermostat, can i keep the red bulb on still 24/7, or would it be getting to hot in there? I saw it as the heat mat will be controlled so maybe if the bulbs giving out enough heat onto the tiles the mat might not even turn on?

:D
Look forward to hearing from anyone! :main_cool3:

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
I put the UTH under the tank on the outside, but you surely don't have to. It just makes it easier because you don't have to snake the wire out the enclosure.

I would fit the tiles tightly with no air gap under them. You want to load the tiles with heat, and the air gap would defeat that purpose, unless there is something else I'm not thinking of.

AliMak

oh right, so the tiles should sit flat on the floor right on top of the heat mat?

i have a wooden viv, so i guessed i should have it on the inside as it wouldnt radiate through?

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
Yah, the wooden viv would make putting the UTH under the floor pointless. I have taken foil and wrapped it around the bottom of the UTH and then put it on the floor. Of course, that's outside of the tank, but I don't see why you couldn't do that inside the tank and then put the tiles on top.

Visit our friends