My New Setup

aburningflame

I keep changing my setup every few months.
I just can't help it - i see neat things at the pet store all the time.

heres what my setup looks like now - heck, i love it so much i dont even mind the paper substrate

[YT]K1th7mLOAlI[/YT]

aburningflame

I have a tank thats setup to look like a desert as well.
But if I cant use sand - don't much see the point in going with a desert setup i suppose.

I really like the plantation and hides in this setup...big als been climbing everywhere.

The enclosures always been a foresty feel and theyve really done well in it for the past 5mths.

:) thanks for taking a look!

aburningflame

Yep i understand.

i wish sand was an acceptable substrate - i think i could do some really neat stuff.

my fave part about keeping geckos is habitat setup.

i wanna do some homemade stuff too - ive seen some neat stuff.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
It is a pretty tank but I also prefer to simulate more of a natural habitat and leos are desert dwellers. I bet a crestie would have a blast in there. It looks like Big Al is enjoying the new terraine tho. Who is his shy friend that was hiding under your hanging ledge and plant? Very visually enjoyable. Since I couldn't use sand I went with a sand stone colored tile insted (and LOTS of natural slate rock for hides). Really happy with how mine turned out.

aburningflame

that would be eggo :)

shes nothing but shy - shes just resting.
usually she will be walking around - chomping up mealworms like its nobodys business!!

i understand that people like to simulate their natural environment - with the desert look. but considering the many generations theyve been bred in captivity and the amount of geckos doing extremely well inside breeding racks - i think that a desert setup isnt necessary

my next larger setup (in possibly a 20long) will be desert like

:) thanks for taking a look and the positive comments - appreciate them!

i love doin tank setups (even for fish)

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
love doin tank setups

It shows. You do nice work. I think that even with the years of being captive bred that they still retain some of that natural instinct tho and for complete fufillment behaviorally it would be better for the pet keeper (those that aren't breeding many animals) to do what they can to make sure they try to fufill as many natural instincts providing complete balance in their lives. But that's just me. I'm big into the behavior thing and mental fufillment as well as basic physical needs.

aburningflame

I do agree.

However, they behave much in the way my other geckos behave.
I think the change in behavior with that setup is the amount of clmbing.
they climb quite a bit.

i do think a desert setup would be better behaviorly - but believe me, if there is any detriment to their health and it is environment related - i would be willing to switch

LZRDGRL

You have a great setup there! I like it very much.

I used to have live plants in mine, too, but they didn't thrive, so now I just have natural-looking plastic plants. ;) Yours look awesome.

If you want some substrate that's too big to swallow but looks natural and is good for digging, try hydroculture clay balls. Amazon.com has them. They make spot cleaning easy; just scoop a handfull of them out wherever your geckos like "to go." If you want to experiment with backgrounds, I would suggest Habiscape rock walls (from lll reptile, for example). You can cut out holes with a kitchen knife, and put plants in them! They look great and offer your geckos additional climbing opportunities. You just need a screen top then, because a back wall allows them to climb out the top :main_laugh:

Chrissy

TickoLucky

RIP Lucky
I love your setup! Mine is very blah at the moment but yours has given me some things to think about. I tried the whole 'clean' look but hated it plus Spaz loves to climb so he hated it as well and just hid 24/7. But as soon as I put some rock and driftwood he has been out and about all through the night.

Visit our friends