New baby bearded dragon

speedygecko

my new baby dragon. I got him from petsmart, there are no breeders close by. but this little guy is very healthy and was so excited when i got him. i went up to the cage and he jumped over all the other to get to the front to say "pick me" lol and he wasn't even the biggest in there....i brought him home last night and he ran around the tank and then went to bed. When I got up this morning to feed him he jumped on my hand and didnt want me to put him down lol he awesome. he even ate stuff the first day home not much but it was something. I just wanted to share this and its my first beardie I already have a leo. They are both awesome pets!!!!

artes

Adorable! I ended up picking out mine because she ran up to the front of the tank, waved at me, and then caught a cricket. Now, she's a handfed spoiled brat of huginess.

speedygecko

Adorable! I ended up picking out mine because she ran up to the front of the tank, waved at me, and then caught a cricket. Now, she's a handfed spoiled brat of huginess.
lol thats awesome...i have a question also maybe you can help....i know you need to give them sometime to relax but i bought him last night and this morning he jumped on my hand and i held him for 3 mins not trying to push it so i put him 2 more times for about 2-3 mins when i grab him he kinda swings his body until all his legs r on me then hes relaxed enough so i can bring my thumb around to rub his back and he closes his eyes....should i keep going alittle at a time or should i just let him be for a day or 2????

prettyinpink

You want to be sure you leave him be. He may seem fine, but it can stress him out. Just let him settle in and then you can start messing with him.

Enjoy it, they grow up fast :)

speedygecko

thanks...thats what i figured just thought it was weird he wanted to be held right away...also tuesday night when i got him he ate 3 mealworms... and yesterday he ate to crickets...but last night or today so far he hasnt ate anything...i thought they ate alot or is it cuz hes still stressed.....and i read about the water thing i leave water in there at all times but i heard they dont drink out of it alot so i put a couple drops on his nose what do i do about that?

Tico

got one of my Beardies at like Days old and i would use mist the Glass on the cool side of the tank and she would just go over there and lick the water off the glass ....and this is where i place the water dish ... she caught on quick less then a week...

prettyinpink

Greens are usually for 'drinking' water. Once he/she settles in I recommend bathing. A new study showed that captive beardies were dying from dehydration, this is why bathing is recommended.

Misting him a couple times is ok, I usually don't like to recommend to do that to babies because it seems to freak most of them out. Be sure NOT to put a deep bowl of water in there, they can easily drown.

Hope everything is ok! Be sure not to touch him/her if she's not eating... they're pigs at this age. I know it's tempting but it can do harm, some don't care but others can get pretty stressed if they're being handled before settling in.

speedygecko

update......baby is doing great...still really jumpy when i go to pick him up but eating alot of crickets and i am misting him about 2-3 times a day...how many times should i mist him tho? I will post pics and a video once battery's charge for camera lol

Last edited:

Visit our friends