New gecko, need advice

dylxnbj

I've purchased a new leopard gecko yesterday, however I'm concerned about his current behaviour. It could be just me overreacting but its worth asking. He's between 12-16 weeks, he is moving around the enclosure however he mostly just sits on top of the moist hide or inside it all the time, my tank is just below the right temp, I'm having problems with the heating but I'm temporarily using a heat lamp (as well as the heat mat) to keep the temperature at the right level, I've tried googling and looking up videos of having a new gecko, but not much i can find. I had done all the research about looking after them, so I'm aware of all that. He also won't eat anything, I've tried crickets and mealworms but he just seems scared of them and runs away once they start moving. The lady who sold me him did say he had just shed so I was thinking that might be the reason, but if someone could give me any tips or advice, I'd appreciate it.

(also, I know he may be just adjusting to his new home, like i said, I could be overreacting, I'd rather know if it's normal behaviour for a new gecko.)

Thanks

dylxnbj

I wouldn't worry too much. They can be wary of food during the adjustment period.
He also might be going through a shed.

Best way to control belly temps, when using a UTH, is to use a thermostat.

Link for thermostats
I have a heating lamp on to average out the temperature until a new heating pad is delivered, and he's been alot more lively, even crawled all over me after trying another feed. So he should eventually start eating? i was thinking of trying wax or superworms incase he was being fed them before but i know that they can get an addiction kind of thing.

panthergecko

One thing that can help: is a few recent pictures and weight. But as long as he is drinking water and food is available he will eat when comfortable.

Visit our friends