New Gecko Owner looking for some help

YoshiBones

Hi everyone! My new Leo seems to be adjusting slowly to her new home, is there any way I can make it easier for her?

She was given to me Sunday afternoon and I wasn't able to get her into a terrarium for 8 hours, which is much longer than the advised 2 on the carrier she came in. I know it's probably not life-threatening, but it may have caused some unwanted stress. She's currently in a 10 gal terrarium with a side-mounted heat pad, paper towel substrate, and two hideaways. I've put out mealworms for her, but she doesn't seem to notice them. I had read that newly moved Leos are unlikely to eat and usually need to be hand-fed, so for the past 2 days I've hand-fed her 2 mealworms each night. I have a slice of green apple in the mealworm dish since I don't have carrots, but I'm a little worried it's too big and the active mealworms under it are hidden from her sight. I've also been supplementing her heat pad with an incandescent lamp gelled red, because while the tank side with the heater is very warm, the air next to it only feels a few degrees warmer than the rest. She's pooped twice so far, but this morning I also found a clump of worms that seemed like 2/2.5/3 stuck together, which were darker than before. I'm not sure if they died somehow or if she regurgitated them.

I think she's about 5 in. long including her tail.

Also, I'm not certain on her sex. I looked at her underside and could make out a faint v, and what may be preanal pores under her thighs, but they don't seem nearly as drastic as most male examples I've found.

Russellm0704

Welcome to Geckoforums and congrats on the new leo. You really need to provide belly heat. I know you said that you attached your heat pad to the side of the terrarium. It needs to be attached under the terrarium to provide belly heat. You then need a way to control and read the surface temp of where the gecko will be laying in the enclosure. The warm spot should be 89-92 F and the cool side can be room temp. You are really looking for the surface temp of the enclosure rather than the air temp.

I would not worry too much about hand feeding yet. Most new geckos will not eat for several days. However, the belly heat should also help with the eating.

YoshiBones

Thanks! It's funny, I was originally going to under-mount my heat pad, but when I opened it up it kept saying how side mounting was preferred, so I figured I'd try it. I've switched to the underside now, and she seems to be satisfied.

Visit our friends