New Guy here help me out!

Combz

So this weekend I'm planing on gettint an AFT from the columbus reptile show. Me and my girl friend have a 6 month old leo right now and LOVE him to death.

Tell me if Im right on my thinking for setting up my tank for my fatty.

Ive got a 20g long tank. I will be using reptile carpet for my substrate... impaction scares the poop out of me lol. I will use a UTH for the warm side heat and possibly a 60w light for during the day. ( correct me on that if im wrong PLEASE) For hides i will have a cave or log on the warm side. On the cool i will have a log or cave vice versa from the warm... and a tupperware with vermicite or how ever its spelled for a moist hide/ shed box. I will have a shallow water dish. Finally I will mist the tank once daily for humidity on cool side.

If ANY of this sounds wrong or you know something better PLEASE share. I LOVE geckos and want my little guy to be happy. THANK YOU GUYS SO SO SO MUCH.

-Ryan

Coretta

Thats sounds exactly like my tank. I have different bedding but Ima switch out for some paper towels... But sounds right to me :) (I am a newbie though!)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Sounds pretty good to me. AFT's are nocturnal like leos so they don't need lights, but if you want to use one it's OK. My AFT's are on eco earth, even though my leos are on ceramic tile.

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't provide any heat from above, just the UTH (actually I do have a light, but that's because I have a planted tank). Nocturnal animals are used to being in near darkness because it's dark at night in nature. My geckos are in my living room so when I'm there at night the lights are on. After I go to bed, there's light from the moon and the street lights.

Aliza

Combz

ok awesome. i was just wondering cause where i plan on putting the tank there arent any sources of light. i just figured it would be cool to have a light to see him in his tank during the day.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
A light is fine, it's just not required, unless the gecko would be in total darkness all day.

Aliiza

Combz

so i went out today and baught the majority of everthing i need pics will soon be posted... the thermometer is reading 87. ive got a repti therm UTH and a 60w heat bulb. that is on the warm side. this good so far? im not to sure how warm the cool side is but cant be far off. let me know if im good so far.

Combz

here is the tank. the left side is the warm side. the carpet runs a little short i will be buying another piece. i still have to add the humide hide and i think that is it.
tank.jpg

Visit our friends