New rack, need some help

Adinar

So yesterday we bought a new rack. It came with bins (with alot of extras), and was already hooked up with heat tape. Really good deal considering it can hold roughly 10 adults and 12 hatchlings. We got it home today, and I started cleaning it and noticed that the heat tape in the one corner is melted.
Geckos474.jpg

And the other side was starting to bubble.
Geckos476.jpg

Rather than taking of the entire back (which is luckily screwed on) and redoing the entire heat tape system since it would take forever to get all the supplies, is there a way to cut out the affected areas and just wire it together? I was assuming it would be similar compaired to daisy chaining several tanks together. I just want to nip this in the butt before we go and use it so we don't end up with issues later on down the line.

Geckos478.jpg

With all the bins pulled out, so you can see how the heat tape is rigged.
Geckos480.jpg

Doors closed.
Geckos481.jpg

And some bins put in (not exact as to what we're doing with it).

Not a bad deal for $150.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
We assumed that was the cause. I'm going to cut all the corners like that and just link it all together.

i would also consider removing all those thumb tacks...if one of those were to pierce the metal part of the tape...and you touch it...you will receive a very nice SHOCK :hanged:

Adinar

i would also consider removing all those thumb tacks...if one of those were to pierce the metal part of the tape...and you touch it...you will receive a very nice SHOCK :hanged:

Yes, I'm planning on getting some of that (aluminum I think) tape when I go to work on Mon since we sell it there.

As for that tape, rather than messing with the parts that are folded over that have no issues, would that (or anything else for that matter) help this from not happening? We're talking 6 parts I'd have to cut and wire, so the less the better.

Havik

PrototypeGex.webs.com
Not a bad deal for $150.[/QUOTE]

Well it does look nice bt ur lucky to have spoted that before using it that's a fire waiting to happen. Who knows maybe that's why the guy got rid of it. Its defenitly not safe u can burn ur house down. If I were u I would remove the back panels and redo the heat, I would use 11" flexwatt going down inbetween the bins. I rather spend the extra money doing it right than burning my house down and use a T-stat. Flexwatt can reach 150F and that wood ain't heat resistant so play it safe good luck

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I agree that the tape needs to be replaced. You don't know what caused that damage or if it has damaged other areas. Heat tape is cheap, why risk it?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
I agree that the tape needs to be replaced. You don't know what caused that damage or if it has damaged other areas. Heat tape is cheap, why risk it?

you know what is cheaper than heat tape? Heat Cable :D And since it is back heat..i think it is the best way they should go right now.. no need to wire or sauter anything up :main_thumbsup:

Adinar

you know what is cheaper than heat tape? Heat Cable :D And since it is back heat..i think it is the best way they should go right now.. no need to wire or sauter anything up :main_thumbsup:

What are the differences between the two? And what kind of wattage does the heat cable pump out? As well as the kind of temps is can push.

I haven't read up on the cable, only the tape so far.

-Mischief

What are the differences between the two? And what kind of wattage does the heat cable pump out? As well as the kind of temps is can push.

Where can hheat tape be gotten?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...and-rocks/-/zoo-med-52-foot-repti-heat-cable/

Here is the 150watt (52 ft.) heat cable..where i use to work they use to run one strand (of a smaller wattage, not sure which one) with a thermostat under each tub and and it heat a good area of the tub to 91 degrees without a problem..

also 35 feet of heat tape runs at about $90 shipped give or take...

52 feet of heat cble is $45 +shipping..

Im not saying you will use that much but it is just so you can see the price diffrence...

also i recommend the highest watts possible since it will be run s back heat, that way you will be able to obtain 90+ degrees with no problems..just make sure you put wnough coils of the stuff...idk how much..i only have experince with belly heat soooo ...:main_huh: lol

Adinar

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...and-rocks/-/zoo-med-52-foot-repti-heat-cable/

Here is the 150watt (52 ft.) heat cable..where i use to work they use to run one strand (of a smaller wattage, not sure which one) with a thermostat under each tub and and it heat a good area of the tub to 91 degrees without a problem..

also 35 feet of heat tape runs at about $90 shipped give or take...

52 feet of heat cble is $45 +shipping..

Im not saying you will use that much but it is just so you can see the price diffrence...

also i recommend the highest watts possible since it will be run s back heat, that way you will be able to obtain 90+ degrees with no problems..just make sure you put wnough coils of the stuff...idk how much..i only have experince with belly heat soooo ...:main_huh: lol

I'd prefer belly heat too, but I'm just not sure how I'd pull it off since it's set up the way it is and is divided like that.

Visit our friends