New Soon To Be Leo Owner with a Couple Questions

B

BurningAmber

Hey all!! I have been researching a lot, and think im ready to finally get my first Leo :D But I do still have a couple questions!

1. What is the easiest way to clean up poop? I ordered that reptile grass, but after thinking about it it seems like it would be really hard to clean so I probably just won't use it

2. Is sand ok to use, or should I used some type of tile?

3. What is the best type of calcium power to use and where can I get it?

4. Can I keep 2 females in a 20 gallon long tank?

Thank you! That's all I can think of right now :D

M

mushraeddur

Hey all!! I have been researching a lot, and think im ready to finally get my first Leo :D But I do still have a couple questions!

1. What is the easiest way to clean up poop? I ordered that reptile grass, but after thinking about it it seems like it would be really hard to clean so I probably just won't use it

2. Is sand ok to use, or should I used some type of tile?

3. What is the best type of calcium power to use and where can I get it?

4. Can I keep 2 females in a 20 gallon long tank?

Thank you! That's all I can think of right now :D

I have only had my leo since christmas, but I read a lot on here before I made any decisions. I recommend you look at the stickies to best inform yourself. As for the questions, my opinions are:

1. I use a plastic spoon and just scoop it up. wipe clean with warm water when necessary.

2. Many will say sand is not good because it can cause impaction. I have seen leos eat crickets and meal worms and miss (they miss more than you would think) and end up eating sand.....so I don't think sand is safe. Some will disagree, but many will agree. I use tile, which works very well with the UTH.

3. All of them are pretty much the same. Most pet stores will have it in the reptile section. the calcium you use to dust with should have D3. It is good practice to have a small dish of calcium w/out D3 in the terrarium as well.

4. From what I've read, leo's are solitary type reptiles. I've heard of numerous people having success with 2 females in a 20 long, but I've also heard that they don't always get a long. If you plan to have 2 females, most people will suggest the biggest tank you can afford (the more space they have, the less likely they are to not fight is the idea....though I've no personal experience in this). You should also have a suitable back up just in case they do not get a long. Again, I have no personal experience in this...I've just read the forums and this is what the majority seem to be saying.

I hope this helps, and again...check out the stickies, they are extremely useful.

STUTFL

I'll add to this that geckos are rather catlike in their toilet habits (and many other things) - they'll usually pick one area of the tank (hopefully not the water dish ;) ) and use it as the "potty." This makes them a lot simpler to clean up after than some caged animals. You can put paper towel or something else disposable in that corner, and as long as you don't rearrange too drastically there's a good chance they'll continue to use it.

BrilliantEraser

Bookworm!
I'll add to this that geckos are rather catlike in their toilet habits (and many other things) - they'll usually pick one area of the tank (hopefully not the water dish ;) ) and use it as the "potty."

Wrex used his water dish yesterday. I let out an agonizing scream, fearing that it would be his new "spot". Thankfully, he's gone back to his normal spot today! :main_thumbsup:

Oh, and I've been reading leopard gecko books. Apparently, a gecko's "spot" is called a defecatorium. Party trivia to impress* your friends!

*I am not responsible if your friends find this gross and promptly kick you out of the party.

Visit our friends