New to Leo's wanted to show off my set-up

zmilt86

Well first off i would like to say Hello, and thanks for all the info on the forums. Anways im new to Leo's but not to reptiles.I have had anything from large snakes to larger reptiles. I currently have a Beardie named Reaper and he is very cool. Anyways i just purchased my first leo from suncharmers.com ( best breeder i have ever dealt with A++++)First is pic of my tank set-up and get any reccomendations. 1/2 is cool side with coco earth, the other side is the humid side with tile. The humid hide is a tupperware container till the hid-n-hide i ordered comes in. Im using coco earth also in the hide. 90 degrees on the dot in the hide. Let me know what you think...

I also included some pics of my Beardie. Reaper is a Fire Citrus Red Hypo. Very cool in person. he is about 450grams and is 22inches long. Hope you enjoy

zmilt86

well it seems that a lot of people use coco earth as substrate without any problems. But for the same reasons i never used sand for my beardie im scared to use the coco earth. It will be gone tonight and replace with tile all across

zmilt86

enough said, lol. going to get tile now :) other than that everything look good? anyone a fan of my beardie?

andrew5859

Hats Off Exotics
I love your beardie! (good choice with the tile btw) every time I see a picture of one I want one even more! I personally like the orange and citrus morphs.

zmilt86

I love your beardie! (good choice with the tile btw) every time I see a picture of one I want one even more! I personally like the orange and citrus morphs.

Thanks. HE is awesome. Has quite the personality, go figure with the name. He actually will stab feeders with his nails and drag them to the corner and eat them. AKA the Reaper chooses when they die...lol

zmilt86

My new guy should be in with the next hour or so! I will post some pics once he gets here. Still using a Tupperware container. I order a 3-1 cave but it got here broken :( so im still waiting for it to arrive. That should make him happier then the Tupperware.

Im alittle upset that i didnt go with a 20gallon long. I have so much more ideas and such a little tank. So i would assume he will get a friend sooner than later just so i can justify getting a bigger tank,lol.

4mb3r

Wicked Gecko Queen
Cant wait to see pics!! My girl hasnt came yet. anytime now though! lol

zmilt86

im starting to have heating problems. i have a 10-20 gallon UTH in a 10 gallon tank. Im using slate tile as my substrate and i cant get my temp past 83?!!? for the first couple days i got 90-92, but day 3 now and its only 83-85. what can i do to raise the heat of the UTH? will a thermostat raise the heat? or do i need to place sand as a insulator between the tank and tile??i didnt want to use overhead lighting since belly heat is whats needed. im starting to have same probelms. i have a 10-20 gallon UTH in a 10 gallon tank. Im using slate tile as my substrate and i cant get my temp past 83?!!? for the first couple days i got 90-92, but day 3 now and its only 83-85. what can i do to raise the heat of the UTH? will a thermostat raise the heat? or do i need to place sand as a insulator between the tank and tile??i didnt want to use overhead lighting since belly heat is whats needed.

Pinky81

Get a thermostat or a simple rheostat at a local pet store...and in the mean time you can use a infared heat lamp over the hot side just to add some heat. just like the sun shining down on rock to warm the ground the infared will atleast do this a little.

Also you said earlier that you may need to get him a friend sooner then later to justify a larger tank. You do realize you can NOT house 2 males together as they will fight and kill eachother. Also if you are this new to Leo's putting a female in with him will only lead to you having to care for a gravid female. So unless you are a breeder you should not house Males with any others.

zmilt86

Thanks for the advice. And as for getting him a friend i have had lizards so i know i cant house males together, And i honestly wouldnt get another leo untill i was ready to breed them, which isnt going to be anytime soon :) thanks again, will sand also help as a insulator?

Pinky81

I wouldn't think so by adding sand under the slate your just creating more substrate that the heat needs to penetrate. How are you measuring your temps?? and from the pic above where is your hot side??

Visit our friends