New to Leo's wanted to show off my set-up

zmilt86

hot side is where the humid hide is at (tupperware container) i have a accuright thermo probe. same one most everyone uses, same i have used with with beardie. I just cant get the uth to get hotter than 85 at max through the slate. i have the probe outside the hide secured to the tile

Pinky81

Here is my first suggestion move the humid hide...I would say majority have it in the middle some have it on the cool side. I have mine on the cool side simply because it stays moist longer as well as your leo will be able to utilize the heat on the slate better if he is able to lay directly on the tile inside the hide. Especially is you are getting that 3-1 hide Which i have as well as my humid hide...you will get NO heat to penetrate that big hide! I use the half round wood as my hot hides so that my guys have something to go into and still have the ability to lay directly on the hot floor!

I had the same issue I have a 20 gallon long and got a 10-20gal UTH. I wasn't getting proper heat levels...I got a rheostat and even on high I still wasn't getting temps that stayed above 90. So I knew that I needed a larger UTH. So I upgraded to a 30-40 gal. In conjunction with the rheostat I was able to obtain proper temps. No granted with that larger UTH the rheostat was NOT a long term thermostat as it just doesn't control temps real well so I now have a Newtek on the UTH.

I am just NOT a fan of those 10-20gal UTH they just don't put out enough heat especially for those that use slate type substrate.(I currently use papertowel) I do also know that many pet stores have like 7 day return policy's (the employee I talked to let me in on that tip :) So you buy a rheo use it for 24-48 to see if it is just a matter of needing a thermostat to bump up your temps or if you truly need a larger UTH. If it is that you need the rheo then perfect your done..but if you need the uth return the Rheo and get the larger UTH. For me as a breeder an extra rheo is always useful.

Bottom line is I think you gotta move out that hide to the middle and use a open bottom hide over the hot spot. If this doesn't work try the rheo tip! But I'd be willing to put money on you need a larger UTH! Good luck...and your set up is fab! Keep an eye on Craigslist in your area for used 20gal Longs..LOVE LOVE LOVE CL!!

Ok edit I added a pic of my basic set up...that half log is the hot hide...and the tupperware (which even though isn't natural looking is flippin fantastic as a humid hide) is mid tank! The thermo probe is directly on the floor in the hot hide. Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:

zmilt86

thanks for all the help. Yeah that 3-1 cave is huge. i cant imagine how i will get heat to penetrate through it. IM looking for my receipt to take back the UTH and upgrade. Hopefully that will fix it. again thanks for all the help :)

Pinky81

your welcome...Let us know if they take the UTH back usually thats not returnable as its not really something they can resell! But Id be interested in knowing if they do!

The 3-1 is awesome as a moist hide...I only have one since it was so expensive and my male just LOVES it!

zmilt86

Well here is an update; they took the UTH pad back... they weren't happy about it, but i just pushed on the fact that there store policy stated that you can return anything with a valid store receipt within 30days. SO i upgraded to the 30-40 gallon UTH i also set it up for a cool hide, humid hide (3-1 cave) and hot hide. Oh and i couldn't resist returning my 10gallon tank and going with a 20gallon long :) he loves it and im happy as well. temps are stable between 91-93. thanks for all the help!

Visit our friends