Newbie... :P

geckoluver4evr

Hi! I got my baby leopard gecko thursday at petco. I have an album full of pics if you want to see! It's name is Pepper, and it was the smallest gecko there, who had just arrived that morning. Well, I am keeping Pepper in a 10 gallon tank (screened in lid :)) lined with paper towels. She (if she is a she, which I'd prefer ;)) has a water dish and a calcium dish, and a hidey hole. I am setting up a terra cotta homemade cave on the other side later tonight. There is a washcloth in the larger log cave... thing to keep Pepper warm, as well as a heat lamp. I am working on getting a UTH next week. I'll also get a proper thermometer, because the one I have is stick on and I'm guessing not very accurate. ;) I have been feeding Pepper very small mealworms. She hate 3 this morning, 5 total yesterday and the day I got her. When she get's bigger, I'll start feeding her baby crickets. :) Just wanted your opinions on all of this. I'm nervous and I know Pepper is very young, and thus easily stressed and vulnerable, and I really don't want to lose my tiny new friend. :)

geckoluver4evr

Oops! Forgot to attach pics. One is a pic of Pepper's home and the other is a pic of the actual gecko. :)

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome to GF. It sounds as though you're doing well in your current and future plans with Pepper, who looks very happy and healthy. I agree the UTH is a good idea and you may need a thermostat or a dimmer as well to keep the temperature correct. Keep an eye on the washcloth to make sure it doesn't get mildewed from the moisture. You'll know by the smell.

Aliza

geckoluver4evr

Really? Yay! That's fantastic! I'm doing well, yippy! :) And "she" looks healthy? Oh yeah! That made me very excited. I was so worried, since I didn't yet have the UTH (this week!), plus she's still soooo tiny. I don't want her to get sick or hurt! But yaaaay! Thank you very much. I will try to get an electric thermometer, since those are more accurate. Do they have battery powered stick on's? ;) Thanks so much. Pepper is active still this morning, and likes the new cave I made out of a terra cotta pot. I put that on the warm side under the light, and the wooden log on the other side for hiding. I dampened the cool side log on the bottom so if Pepper needs to shed, she has a moist place to hide in... okay, novel over. :)

Visit our friends