Well, this didn't take long. Here it is:

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/BillText129/129_HB_352_I_N.html

As Introduced

129th General Assembly
Regular Session
2011-2012

H. B. No. 352

Representative Phillips

Cosponsors: Representatives Antonio, Ashford, Garland, Letson, Murray, O'Brien, Ramos, Szollosi, Fedor, Goyal

A BILL

To amend section 1531.99 and to enact section 1531.40 of the Revised Code to prohibit the future acquisition of a dangerous exotic animal, to require a person owning a dangerous exotic animal on the act's effective date to register it with the Division of Wildlife, and to declare an emergency.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF OHIO:

Section 1. That section 1531.99 be amended and section 1531.40 of the Revised Code be enacted to read as follows:

Sec. 1531.40. (A) On and after the effective date of this section, no person shall acquire by any means a dangerous exotic animal.

(B) A person who owns a dangerous exotic animal on the effective date of this section shall register the animal with the division of wildlife not later than sixty days after that date. A registration may be issued if both of the following apply:

(1) The person has not been convicted of an offense involving the abuse or neglect of any animal pursuant to any local, state, or federal law.

(2) The person has not had a license or permit regarding the care, possession, exhibition, breeding, or sale of animals revoked or suspended by any local, state, or federal agency.

The care and disposition of dangerous wild animals owned by a person who is not eligible for a registration under this division shall be conducted in accordance with rules adopted under this section.

(C) The chief of the division of wildlife shall adopt rules under section 1531.10 of the Revised Code that establish both of the following:

(1) A requirement that the owner of a dangerous exotic animal who registered the animal under division (B) of this section have the animal microchipped, and requirements and procedures governing that microchipping;

(2) Any other requirements and procedures that are necessary to administer this section, including requirements governing the disposition of dangerous exotic animals owned by persons who are not eligible for registration under division (B) of this section.

(D) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(1) The division of wildlife;

(2) A facility that is an accredited member of the American zoo and aquarium association or that is under mentorship of the association;

(3) An accredited member of the American zoo and aquarium association or an entity that is under mentorship of the association that is conducting educational or other activities with dangerous exotic animals outside of the facility that is operated by the member;

(4) A humane society;

(5) A veterinary hospital or clinic;

(6) A wildlife sanctuary;

(7) A research facility as defined in the "Animal Welfare Act of 1966," 80 Stat. 350, 7 U.S.C. 2131, as amended;

(8) A vocational school, college, university, or other educational institution;

(9) A traveling public show or circus that uses dangerous exotic animals as an integral part of the show or circus performance and that keeps the animals in this state only during the time period when the traveling public show or circus is performing in this state;

(10) An individual who does not reside in this state and is traveling through this state with a dangerous exotic animal, who has the animal confined in a cage at all times, and who is in this state not more than ninety-six hours;

(11) A law enforcement agency;

(12) Any other entity designated by the chief in rules adopted under this section.

(E) As used in this section:

(1) "Dangerous exotic animal" means any of the following:

(a) A large cat other than a cat commonly known as a house cat;

(b) A nonhuman primate, except a nonhuman primate that provides support or assistance for a mobility impaired person;

(c) An alligator;

(d) A crocodile;

(e) A constricting snake;

(f) A venomous snake;

(g) Any other animal designated by the chief in rules adopted under this section.

(2) "Humane society" means an organization that is organized under section 1717.05 of the Revised Code.

(3) "Wildlife sanctuary" means a nonprofit organization as described in section 170 of the "Internal Revenue Code of 1986," 100 Stat. 2085, 26 U.S.C. 170, as amended, that operates a place of refuge where abused, neglected, unwanted, impounded, abandoned, orphaned, or displaced dangerous exotic animals are provided care for their lifetime or released back to their natural habitat and, with respect to an animal possessed by the organization, that does not do any of the following:

(a) Use the animal for any type of entertainment;

(b) Sell, trade, or barter the animal or the animal's body parts;

(c) Breed the animal.

Sec. 1531.99. (A) Whoever violates section 1531.02 of the Revised Code, or any division rule, other than a rule adopted under section 1531.25 of the Revised Code, is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

(B) Whoever violates section 1531.02 of the Revised Code concerning the taking or possession of deer or violates division (K) of section 1531.06 or section 1531.07 or 1531.29 of the Revised Code is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree on a first offense; on each subsequent offense, that person is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(C) Whoever violates section 1531.25 of the Revised Code is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(D) Whoever violates section 1531.02 of the Revised Code concerning the buying, selling, or offering for sale of any wild animals or parts of wild animals, the minimum value of which animals or parts, in the aggregate, is one thousand dollars or more as established under section 1531.201 of the Revised Code, is guilty of a felony of the fifth degree.

(E) Whoever violates section 1531.40 of the Revised Code is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree on a first offense and a felony of the fifth degree on each subsequent offense.

(F) A court that imposes sentence for a violation of any section of this chapter governing the holding, taking, buying, selling, or possession of wild animals, including, without limitation, section 1531.11 of the Revised Code, may require the person who is convicted of or pleads guilty to the offense, in addition to any fine, term of imprisonment, seizure, and forfeiture imposed, to make restitution for the minimum value of the wild animal illegally held, taken, bought, sold, or possessed as established under section 1531.201 of the Revised Code. An officer who collects moneys paid as restitution under this section shall pay those moneys to the treasurer of state who shall deposit them in the state treasury to the credit of the wildlife fund established under section 1531.17 of the Revised Code.

Section 2. That existing section 1531.99 of the Revised Code is hereby repealed.

Section 3. Division (B) of section 1531.40 of the Revised Code, as enacted by this act, does not apply until the ninety-first day after the effective date of this act.

Section 4. This act is hereby declared to be an emergency measure necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health, and safety. The reason for such necessity is the need to protect the citizens of the state from injury or harm caused by dangerous exotic animals. Therefore, this act shall go into immediate effect.

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
Does anyone besides me see a problem with outlawing ALL constricting snakes? I'm assuming this would cover North American indigenous species; including rat, corn, and king snakes.

How can they BAN native fauna?
Isn't there something already on the books that would be against the destruction of native species?

They are also specifically banning breeding.
Unless you register and microchip all of your animals.

Also, does anyone else think it's odd there is no mention of bears or zebras and the like? Because there were SO MANY corn snakes threatening the public in the recent rampage.

Last edited:

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
Does anyone besides me see a problem with outlawing ALL constricting snakes? I'm assuming this would cover North American indigenous species; including rat, corn, and king snakes.

How can they BAN native fauna?
Isn't there something already on the books that would be against the destruction of native species?

They are also specifically banning breeding.
Unless you register and microchip all of your animals.

Also, does anyone else think it's odd there is no mention of bears or zebras and the like? Because there were SO MANY corn snakes threatening the public in the recent rampage.

I was wondering that, too. They need to be more specific. I've never heard of anyone dying from a cornsnake or king snake, etc. I hope everyone fights this.

pastelball

I doubt we will see any help on this one. They have been having closed door meetings on this for awhile now. they will not let anyone against it an.

SFgeckos

So if I'm understanding what I'm reading, someone in Ohio is banned from owning a baby cornsnake but can own a large water monitor...like that really makes alot of sense?

Jon

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
Okay, so NOW, I'M PISSED.

I made a comment on the HSUS page here:
http://www.facebook.com/humanesociety?sk=app_159422270800098

Once again, pointing out, that the current tragedy had NOTHING to do with snakes.
That the proposed wording would include many, many, indigenous and native species of snakes. That they were using public sentiment to an illogical means.
I probably went too far, I called them zealots and said that the public can see this for what it is.

They then erased my comment and blocked me from any and all participation on their page. They are purging any and all comments from people who are arguing for logic and reason.

It just got personal.

My response?
I decided to use their own petition against them. Here's the form letter:
https://secure.humanesociety.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=5235

If you like this idea, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS PART:
Do NOT send the form letter as it is.

YOU MUST REWRITE THE SUBJECT AND THE LETTER CONTENT.

This is the message I sent:

THE GROSSLY EXAGGERATED CLAIMS ARE COMING FROM THE HSUS.

THE HORRIFIC EVENTS IN OHIO HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH SNAKES. THIS IS A BLATANT ATTEMPT TO USE PUBLIC EMOTION AND OUTCRY TO BAN WHAT IS IN FACT AN INDUSTRY, WHETHER HSUS LIKES IT OR NOT.

The current proposed wording, "all constricting snakes" would include NATIVE FAUNA such as corn snakes, rat snakes, king snakes, rubber boas, and COUNTLESS OTHER NATIVE WILDLIFE.

They are pushing their extreme agenda that no one should ever own any animals, period.

This morning I decided to point out their erroneous logic on their Facebook page. Guess what they did? They deleted my post and and blocked me from any further participation on their page.

This misguided attack on the exotics industry had nothing to do with the large animals that died in Ohio. It was a horrible incident, and I do care about animals, conservation, regulation, and preventing poaching. Animal welfare and rights are important, but they DO NOT supersede human rights.

I ASK THAT YOU IMMEDIATELY LAUNCH A NATIONAL, FULL SCALE INVESTIGATION INTO THE FINANCES AND ACTIVITIES OF THE HSUS. IT DOES NOT DESERVE ITS NON-PROFIT STATUS.

(Not the classiest or most tactful letter I've ever sent, but then, I've never been BANNED from a FB page before. I thought the whole point was to get public comment and feedback. How naive of me.)

Desdemona

Poodles... ewwwww

It's politics.. there seems to have been a development in America to always exaggerate and ignore the other side when you have a point to make. It happens in a lot of topics. It annoys the hell out of me.

IS there any guess on how likely it is to pass? I've seen a lot of knee jerk reaction laws like this (in teh catagories I pay attention too) not pass. However, none of the laws I know about were animal related so that world could be different.

Visit our friends