OMG!? Cleaning FAIL!? help???

Neill

Gecko Elements
So was cleaning my vivariums glass today. Using an all organic sponge figured safest way to go (all natural). Well something in that damn sponge scratched the glass!!!!!!! GRRRRRRR!!!!!! They are very small scratches but still scratches! 100s of little tiny hair scratches over the glass! Anyone know a way to get rid of SMALL scratches on glass!?

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Glass can be buffed, but it is a difficult and time consuming process. Chances are it would be cheaper to buy a new tank than to have those scratches removed.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Best way I know to remove scratches from glass is a pencil eraser (go over each scratch till it's smoky looking) then buff it with car compound (it's a fine gritty paste to remove scratches from car paint) then buff it with turtle wax. What scratches aren't removed will be filled in and smoothed out. I've used this on outsides of tanks but not on insides so be careful with the fumes. This also workes with DVD's and CD's.

Personally I'd try it on a small unobvious section of the tank first before doing the whole thing just to see the outcome.

fishyfan

Was it a sea sponge? They have silica based spicules that make up their skeleton, probably what scratched the glass.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Go to one of the car windshield repair places and ask them how they deal with small scratches/cracks. It could work for your tank as long as it isn't toxic.

Aliza

prettyinpink

You used the organic one like the kind women use to clean themselves. Those things hurt! I can't use them :p

Have you seen the new organic sponge...I forget the company, but it says it's organic and I've picked it up a few times just because I'm weird and crave something different :p It's just where the normal sponges are in the cleaning section. Ugh I wish I remembered the brand name. :S

Neill

Gecko Elements
See that is the HUGE problem is its one of my planted vivarium tanks. Live plants AND animal. So i need a non toxic fix. Tried toothpaste that didn't do anything.

Neill

Gecko Elements
it was... Crest Whitening Expressions. Its half gel which i heard not to use and half the paste which should work. Maybe i should get an all paste one?

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
If you need non-toxic and sticking along the tooth paste route. What makes it work is the fact it is slighty gritty like the auto compound. Stuff like tooth paste for dentures would be a prfect idea since it tends to be a little grittier, whitening pasts as well.

Bubba_da_leo

Use arm and hammer dental care tooth paste it's the grittyest I could find and worked for me. Hope this helps!

Visit our friends