P. Grandis: how to avoid breeding..?

DLLNP

3 Year Member
Hello!

I'm looking at getting a giant day gecko in the next few weeks. I will be setting up a good sized enclosure, about 48" x 18" x 20" so I think I should have room for more than one?

Obviously two males is out of the question and from what I've read a trio of 1 male, 2 females can sometimes be tough too. So I would like to get a pair, one male and one female but I'm not interesting in breeding at all.

Is there anyway to avoid breeding...? Or does everyone that owns a pair (1.1) deal with eggs all the time? That may be a totally naïve question but definitely something I don't want to find out the hard way!

Thanks

Dillon

Jetfire

How about just getting 2 females? Should negate any chances of unwanted eggs, provided the females haven't been bred prior to your purchase.

DLLNP

3 Year Member
Thanks for the response! After doing some thinking since I posted this I think I may just get one. I have heard of some people have issues with two females.... Plus I know from my experience with other animals (African cichlids particularly) whenever you have more than one animal in an enclosure there's always a chance things don't go well. Males can be so hard on females sometimes!

Visit our friends