Paludarium Stocking Ideas

Kaley

Researching
So i just got a 50 gallon tank for $13 at goodwill, and am wanting to turn it into a rainforest paludarium. The tank is 36 long by 18 wide by 17 high. I'm needing stocking ideas. I would like to be able to keep a pair or a trio in the tank for breeding. I would also like the lizard to be handleable.

Kaley

Researching
10cl0jt.jpg

Here's a picture of the tank

nater

My first thought was that I'd try to dissuade you from doing a paludarium.

#1. Its a waste of space. Rather than a full 50 gallon aquarium, or a full 50 gallon terrarium, you're trying to cram them both in, and they both take away space from each other, and therefore reduce stocking options.

#2. No reptiles unless you put in a complete barrier.

#3. Even a number of amphibians are already off the table. Arboreal and terrestrial frogs don't make the best swimmers, and don't really enjoy being in deep water.

#4. Maintenance is awful. I can't imagine water quality will be good with droppings from arboreal or terrestrial animals, dead feeders, etc... in it. Take all aquarium maintenance issues and multiply by 2.

My second thought was archerfish with nothing else except its food. But even there you're on the small side for tank size.

Its a nice sized tank if you were to go completely one way or the other.

Last edited:

nater

Can you give any hints as to what you're hoping to put in there?

I'll continue on as if you're planning both strictly terrestrial and strictly aquatic species cohabitating.

You'd still have the same problems.

That first one you posted will still get poop in the water, and will still pose a drowning risk. And depending on what you're housing, it'll likely still have dead food floating in there too.

The second one might work if you could devise some sort of false front for the terrestrial part. I don't see how you'd do it and not have it be obvious though.

They're really less paludariums and more like terrariums with water features.

Up the amount of water a bit and you could probably have a nice single species crab tank. Vampire crabs look pretty cool imo. Though a 50 gallon is probably overkill for them. I always thought crab smelled too.

Last edited:

Kaley

Researching
Can you give any hints as to what you're hoping to put in there?

I'll continue on as if you're planning both strictly terrestrial and strictly aquatic species cohabitating.

You'd still have the same problems.

That first one you posted will still get poop in the water, and will still pose a drowning risk. And depending on what you're housing, it'll likely still have dead food floating in there too.

The second one might work if you could devise some sort of false front for the terrestrial part. I don't see how you'd do it and not have it be obvious though.

They're really less paludariums and more like terrariums with water features.

Up the amount of water a bit and you could probably have a nice single species crab tank. Vampire crabs look pretty cool imo. Though a 50 gallon is probably overkill for them. I always thought crab smelled too.

Wouldn't a filter take out all the junk?
I was thinking that instead of using the plastic tub, I'd use aquarium substrate and make it slopeb.b

nater

Wouldn't a filter take out all the junk? I was thinking that instead of using the plastic tub, I'd use aquarium substrate and make it slopeb.b
I think we're in a bit of a circular (for lack of a better term) argument.

You asked for advice on what to stock, I supplied you with a list of possible (probable) problems, depending on what you stock. I can't really answer any of your hypotheticals without knowing what you're going to stock. Which kind of brings us back around to the beginning.

Can you give any sort of hint at what you're leaning towards putting in there? Just as what kind of animals you're going to have informs how your enclosure should be set up, it will also help us figure out solutions or workarounds for any problems.

Also, I don't say this with any sort of intent to be mean or anything, but I really don't like deciding on an enclosure first and then trying to figure out what to put in it. I mean I'll do it in really general terms, but trying to figure out both the enclosure and what to put in it at the same time seems like its just increasing the planning. I guess maybe its just a difference in our respective processes.

*edit*
Just reread your first post. Rainforest paludarium? It almost seems like really just want a viv with a slightly larger than typical water feature? If thats the case I'd suggest any number of dart frogs. Personally I like the blue and bronze dendrobates auratus. Your post just previous (sloped) though makes me think you're looking at maybe crabs? Of course neither of those fill your requirement to be handleable.

Have you given any consideration to whether or not you're willing to grow your own fruit fly, springtail, etc... cultures?

Last edited:

Kaley

Researching
I think we're in a bit of a circular (for lack of a better term) argument.

You asked for advice on what to stock, I supplied you with a list of possible (probable) problems, depending on what you stock. I can't really answer any of your hypotheticals without knowing what you're going to stock. Which kind of brings us back around to the beginning.

Can you give any sort of hint at what you're leaning towards putting in there? Just as what kind of animals you're going to have informs how your enclosure should be set up, it will also help us figure out solutions or workarounds for any problems.

Also, I don't say this with any sort of intent to be mean or anything, but I really don't like deciding on an enclosure first and then trying to figure out what to put in it. I mean I'll do it in really general terms, but trying to figure out both the enclosure and what to put in it at the same time seems like its just increasing the planning. I guess maybe its just a difference in our respective processes.

*edit*
Just reread your first post. Rainforest paludarium? It almost seems like really just want a viv with a slightly larger than typical water feature? If thats the case I'd suggest any number of dart frogs. Personally I like the blue and bronze dendrobates auratus. Your post just previous (sloped) though makes me think you're looking at maybe crabs? Of course neither of those fill your requirement to be handleable.

Have you given any consideration to whether or not you're willing to grow your own fruit fly, springtail, etc... cultures?

Sorry, should have explained that this was a reptile enclosure. The forum title confused me. I was thinking about putting a pair of gargoyle geckos in there (using jungle vines, turtle docks, and decor to make different climbing levels.)
However, I was also thinking about trying some tomato frogs in there too?
And yes, just a slightly larger water feature.

nater

Sorry, should have explained that this was a reptile enclosure. The forum title confused me. I was thinking about putting a pair of gargoyle geckos in there (using jungle vines, turtle docks, and decor to make different climbing levels.)
However, I was also thinking about trying some tomato frogs in there too?
And yes, just a slightly larger water feature.
Tomato frogs like to burrow, and you're already shorter than I would go for an arboreal gecko like gargoyles. Also, if you're getting two geckos, you'll need a spare enclosure in case one of them gets nippy towards the other. As for housing the two separate species together, I really don't know. They inhabit different levels, the frogs ambush rather than hunt... completely a guess but I'd think they'd just stay out of each others way. Then again, maybe they'd be intimidated by each other... I have no clue. I might be a little worried about secretions from the frog in the water if your gargoyles decide to drink from standing water (which they don't typically do).

I don't see any benefits to mixing species in this case, and I see quite a few potential downsides. I'd also remind you that you're placing what you want above the interests of your pets.

getgeckos

I would go small on the water feature and do a couple cresties in that tank. Alot of plants and branches and it could be a killer tank

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Visit our friends