Pictures of Housing

clemsonguy1125

Im considering making a how to of proper housing of leopard geckos for instructables.com. I was hoping to use pictures of other owners setup. I will give credit to you for any pictures I use.
Some Pictures That Would Be Useful
-Overall Tank
-Hides
-Water Bowl
-Food Dish
-ECT
Thanks

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Yep... you can use my pictures in my photo album as well. Make sure ya post a link to the article after it's done tho ok ;)

clemsonguy1125

Will do, does this checklist sound good for what to include:
Tank Size
Tank Mates
Substrates
Food Dish
Hot Hide
Cool Hide
Humid Hide how to make
Water Dish
What not to use
Potential Hazards
Heating Basics

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Tank mates? As in not to have any? And suppliment dish and how to properly fill/do suppliments. Heating basics and LIGHTING I think should be included. How many times has a pet shop told people their leos need uv light. Makes me wanna kick them honestly.

I think my list would have:
appropriate tank sizes
supplimentation
lighting and heating
tank decor (such as hides and logs etc)
substrait
food dishes
How to properly set it all up and PROPERLY sanatize everything from tiles to decor even if it is just bought.

then include the photos

clemsonguy1125

Well basically no tank mates unless they are two female, same sized leopard geckos with no aggressive traits. Basically no lighting is needed, people at the pet store told me the same thing.Basically follow the directions on the suppliments.
Thanks

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I think you need a little more explanation on the supplimentation. IMO the only thing the bottles are good for is telling you if the suppliments need mixedand the ratios. It doesn't really explain how to suppliment. Most of the threads I answer regard supplimentation questions or lighting issues so I think both of those would need clear detailed directions if you're doing a care sheet. If you're just discussing how to set up a tank then obviously no need to go into that but... the more info a newbie has the better equipped they are to properly take care of their leo.

You got lucky that your pet shop was smart enough and ethical enough to not worry about making money off useless lighting that could actually hurt your leo. It's not many that know leos don't need UV. That's teh other main question I spend a lot of time answering for people. Supplimenting heat with lights or ceramic heat emitters and why their leo doesn't need uv lighting. Also don't forget to mention that if a person has a nice passive leo and they intend on housing another with it (which I still recommend NOT doing regardless of temperament) that they need to quarantine the new leo for at least 90 days before introducing it to their current leo.

Last edited:

clemsonguy1125

I was mainly going to do a how to on housing but I think if Im going to do that I my as well go ahead and do a complete care sheet to counter another one that says to put it on sand and use lights.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I think you could prob. encompass a lot of that in your housing caresheet. Simply put a DON'Ts section. I think what you're doing is great, making sure there is accurate info out there. Can't wait to see it when you're done :)

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I'd be happy to look it over for you :) I use to write a column for our local paper about all things dog so this should be right up my alley :) have you ever heard of a site called EHow? I have a few articles posted up there about dogs.

WOW idiots a plenty on that instructable. Reading the comments made me go "are you kidding" at least 6 times, and reading the instructable itself... well it's junk. I KNOW you can do MUCH better if people were giving that person kudos for their inaccurate info.

Last edited:

Visit our friends