plastc racks at Target

enigmaslim

Hello gang, I see alot of those plstic storage bins at Target and was wondering if those would be suitable for Leo's? And what heat sources would I beable to use on it? I would use a burner to put airholes in the sides. I would only use this for overflow, I already converted a tv to a habitat and will use my 55g and build shelves on top of it. Sorry if its a stupid question

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I assume you mean those stacked drawers in plastic racks. Those don't work all that well as they are extremely easy for leos to escape from. Also, heating would be difficult, the best you could do is use UTHs on each drawer, which can get expensive. Even then there is gap on most of those that makes escape very easy.

enigmaslim

Thanks, I kinda knew that but you know how low funds make you wish apon a star lol. What about roaches or worms in em? I guess the heat would still be in issue

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I use them for mealworms and they work great(no heat required for mealies). Haven't tried them with roaches but if the tubs were deep enough to prevent fluttering males from making a break for it and you used heat pads on the individual bins it should be doable.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Well you are going to have to use some sort of heat control, a thermostat or a rheostat/dimmer. Heat tape would probably work as well, but you will again need to use something to control the heat, most roach species do best at 90ish F, and either a heat pad or tape will get much hotter than that unregulated.

Visit our friends