plug in theremastat

lizardcrazy

hello everyone. has anyone ever used a plug in thermastat for a rack or cage? i was thinking about getting one but before I spend the money i thought I would ask

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't see how there could be any kind of thermostat except a plug in kind. Most people do use a thermostat to make sure their UTH doesn't get too hot. There is a wide range in cost for thermostats. Personally, I would use a more expensive thermostat for an incubator where exact temperatures are more important than for a tank. For my tanks, I do fine with the Alife or ESU thermostats which are around $30 each.

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Well, if you wired your rack heater somehow into your house thermostat, then the thermostat will control the heat. The only problem is that house thermostats don't have probes that you could put in the rack, so it's likely it will be controlling for the air temp and I don't think you want your ambient temp in the 90's.

Aliza

sammer021486

I kind of meant a house thermostat as a rack thermostat can i do that?

There is also the voltage issue. House thermostats run on 24V, you need one to run on 110V.

It can be done, if you go to keg forums they normally have instructions on how to setup a house thermostat to control the heating or cooling.

Your best option for a rack is to get either a RANCO/JOHNSON or a herpstat/helix.

Visit our friends