Poor Dottie

D

Dottie

Well, little Dottie was getting more and more filled with what looked like fluid so I took her to the vet. She has ascites (fluid in the abdomen). She drained 2 c.c.'s of clear liquid! Poor little thing. She weighed 10 grams going in and 7 coming out. The vet thinks she has a congenital organ disfunction - not sure which one - so we are not hopeful for the long term. She did give her some parasite meds, and sent me home with a high-protein mix. We're thinking a high-protein diet might work. Lots of glucose in the liquid. I can't believe how alert and clear-eyed she is in spite of it all. If she fills up again, I guess I have to euthanize her. Sigh.
Dottie's mom
(Dorcas)

W

Welsh

It's good to hear that she is okay right now, and is cleared eyed and alert. :D

Hopefully all will go well. You seem like a good Mommy, and she is in great hands. :)

Good luck with the baby! :(

D

Dottie

Well, good news indeed - Dottie chowed down mini-mealies and 3 crickets tonight!. She is moving about well and still shows no sign of fluid retention. I gave her a bit of slurry last night but she objected to it so I offered her crickets which she went for but failed to catch so that worried me but tonight was a different story - she was a little piglet. She is also objecting to being handled which makes me think she's feeling better. Happy happy me. Now all I'm waiting for is the first post trauma poo. Keep your good thoughts coming our way.
Thanks - Dottie's mom

Visit our friends