Preferred tank size and Dimensions

theCREECH

I've done lots of searching about tank sizes on this forum...

unless I'm wrong most of them are about what size per number of geckos.

What I'm wanted to know is:

What is the most common size tank for a single gecko for display?

and what size is that tank?

I'm wondering if there's any regularity in tank sizes. I know that you can go to almost any store and find a 20 gal or 15 gal. But are their inner dimmensions the same? Or does the footprint change with each manufacturer.

It seems to me the best size tank to keep one adult gecko by themselves is 15 gal. I know they would be fine with 10 gal but a little larger is better I think.

any input would be really nice.

Thanks

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The outside dimensions for tanks is pretty standard and the inside dimensions are close. There does seem to be about 1/4" inside dimension difference between makers of 10 gallon tanks, which is annoying when fitting tile there. The accepted wisdom is that a 10 gallon tank (it makes more sense to think in terms of sq. inches of floor space, which, in the case of a 10 gallon, is 200 sq. inches) is the minimum size for a single adult, though many people prefer a 15 or 20 gallon. You can find standard tank sizes here: http://www.anapsid.org/resources/tanksize.html

Aliza

theCREECH

you know.. I found that page also. but I also found this:
http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/critter-cages.htm

which just made me wonder if there are standards at all. When I went to ***** the other day, none of these dimensions were on the cages I saw there. I'm really starting to wonder.

thanks for input though.

Do you prefer a certian gallon size for you display cage?? I'm leaning towards 15 gallon as an optimal display cage for a single leopard gecko.

Daedric1

Even though a 10gal is considered the minimum, it is of my opinion that this is still too small for a proper heat gradient to be attained, along with enough hides, etc.

A 15 gallon is a pretty good size, and is what I use for my female (my first leo). It works well, but I prefer the 20gallon Long that I got for my male. There's just more space to work with, providing space for more hides/furniture, open space, and also gives a better heat gradient than the 15gal.

Keep in mind that typically, a 20gallon tank you see in a pet store is a 20 High (20H). It's the same dimensions in length and width as a 15gal, but taller. It's different from a 20gallon Long (aka 20L), in that the 20L is 6 inches longer but 4 inches shorter than a 20H. A 20L is better because it provides more floor space for a leo, whereas a 20H gives more height, which a leo doesn't really need.

As stated before, inner tank dimensions are pretty similar but not exact.

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
I think a 20 gallon long is the perfect size for one (or 2, but I keep mine singly). I like to decorate the display tank though, and I sometimes wish I had even more room.

Visit our friends