Preparing for a new gecko

dremanjon

I'm new to reptiles and I had some questions regarding preparing the cage for my new leopard gecko. This might be a long post :main_lipsrsealed:

I've purchased a 40 gallon breeder tank and was wondering if it would be too big for a juvi leopard gecko? I'm still not sure if I'm going to buy an adult or juvi leo but I'm just asking in advance!

For the substrate I was going to go with slate tiles with ultrafine sand underneath, and since the tank's inside measurements would be around 35.625 inches by 17.625 inches, I was just going to get 10 6"x6" slate tiles and use small rocks on the edges of the tank where the sand would be exposed, or 2 12"x12" and 2 6"x6" for less tiles to remove.

For the UTH I have the Medium (10"x11") ExoTerra Heatwave.. but I'm not sure if it's big enough for the 40 gallon tank? I was planning on buying a light dimmer from Lowes/Home Depot for the UTH to adjust the temperature so I wouldn't have to use as much sand underneath.

For calcium and supplements I bought Rep Cal (Calcium, Calcium with D3, and Herptivite Multivitamin).

Temperature management I have a Zilla Thermometer-Hygrometer and an infrared thermometer.

Red 60w lightbulb, water/food/calcium dish, 3 hides in which one will be a tupperware container with a cutout and will have moss inside. the 3 hides will be dispersed in all 3 heat gradiants (cold, warm, hot) with moist hide in the warm heat gradient?

I was wondering if I had to clean/sanitize anything (including the tank itself) before I purchased my leo? I already know I have to clean/sanitize the tile but I'm not sure about anything else. Also I would like to know how I would go about sanitizing and with what.

I also bought an automatic timer that goes into the outlet that controls appliances but I dont think I will need that except for maybe the nightlight, but even then I dont think I would need it since the lamp has an on/off switch.

I was planning on purchasing a leo from a breeder from somewhere else other than petsmart/petco as I have heard it's usually hit or miss with them. My question is that since I live in Houston, the temperature during summer will usually be 97 degrees Fahrenheit or higher, so wouldn't it be unsafe to ship a leo until around fall? I could've had a break when we had a rainstorm, and temperatures dropped a bit.

I think I have everything I need and I tried to explain everything in depth, but I'm open to advice and suggestions! As you can see I'm pretty excited and concerned about my soon to be leo. It's going to be my baby :D

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Good questions. Everything sounds fine so far. Some people would say that 40 gallons is too big for a juvie and if yours seems lost you can always get a piece of plexiglass and partition it. There may be breeders near you in Houston and/or a reptile show coming up. I know there are breeders on here in Texas, but I'm pretty clueless about Texas geography except that I know it's a big state.

Aliza

dremanjon

Yay thanks for the advice! :) I posted a wanted ad in the classifieds and got 2 PMs. I also found that HISS is stationed in Fort Worth!

Landen

LSReptiles
Sounds like you've done good homework. The only two suggestions I would have for you would be to use the slates only and get rid of the sand, and they don't need a light bulb at all. Otherwise sounds like your all set up. :)

dremanjon

Okay, I forgot the usual reason people use sand is for heat suppression/distribution. As for scratching the glass, I'll just use paper towels underneath instead. Save myself money on buying sand and time/trouble it takes to remove/clean!

missdusty

Texas Reptiles has reptile shows throughout the year. There are always several breeders present there - including HISSS. The next one is in Arlington in September, and then here in San Antonio in November. http://www.texasreptiles.com/

acpart - DFW stands for Dallas - Fort Worth. Two huge cities that are relatively close together, with TONS of suburban cities connecting them. If you ever fly into the area, you fly into the DFW airport - it services both cities.
I say relatively close because Texas is really huge. I live down in San Antonio. To get to Dallas, it's a 4-6 hour drive, depending on traffic. To leave Texas going in ANY direction takes several hours lol

Reptis

I prefer the Zoo med digital thermometer. 40 gal breeder is enough for 2 leos much less one, but my advice is to not over think it as i killed my first reptile doing that.

Visit our friends