Preparing for hatchlings

migdem

I do not have a rack available so I need to do something else. I also do not have to much hatchlings my female still did not lay but soon it will. I have my incubator ready. Now for housing the hatchlings. I am going to get some 6qt tubs. 1/3 will be covered by a UTH. Is this enough?

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
I do not have a rack available so I need to do something else. I also do not have to much hatchlings my female still did not lay but soon it will. I have my incubator ready. Now for housing the hatchlings. I am going to get some 6qt tubs. 1/3 will be covered by a UTH. Is this enough?

What exactly do you mean 1/3rd will be covered with a UTH? Everyone need belly heat? Not just 1/3rd? Maybe you need to explain your set up with a little more detail;) I think you'll get more help that way:)

triplegex

What exactly do you mean 1/3rd will be covered with a UTH? Everyone need belly heat? Not just 1/3rd? Maybe you need to explain your set up with a little more detail;) I think you'll get more help that way:)

I think he means each tub will have 1/3 of the bottom heated... if that's the case, aslong as the temps are correct that's fine.

migdem

1/3 of the tub will be covered on a UTH. the other 2/3 of the tub will be with no heat. Since I do not have a rack and I am not breeding that much yet I do not need to do the rack this season.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As long as you have an appropriate place to keep them, you don't actually need a rack, but you do realize, that if you put these 6 quart tubs on shelves, you kind of have a rack anyway. I do have a 16 tub rack but I use it for my fat tail hatchlings and for leopard gecko overflow. My perference for keeping leo hatchlings is a shelf unit with front opening 20 gallon long cages (glasscages.com) divided into 3 sections.

Aliza

migdem

By any chance for heating did you ever use heat cable for heating the belly? I was going to get heat cable in the future to heat the rack but I also wanted to heat the belly but I do not know how to install it. Anyone can give me some hints?

ajveachster

By any chance for heating did you ever use heat cable for heating the belly? I was going to get heat cable in the future to heat the rack but I also wanted to heat the belly but I do not know how to install it. Anyone can give me some hints?

Heat cable works well in a rack because you can use a router to make room for it. That way the tubs sit level on a flush surface. If you are just setting your tubs on a shelf, heat tape may work better because it is flat. This will allow your tubs to be level.

migdem

Heat cable works well in a rack because you can use a router to make room for it. That way the tubs sit level on a flush surface. If you are just setting your tubs on a shelf, heat tape may work better because it is flat. This will allow your tubs to be level.

What is a router?

Also isn't the heat cable round?

Visit our friends