Prime conditions for a baby/juvenile leo

Diggs27

Hello there; newbie here looking at getting a young leo within the next week or so; and seen so many different things online whle researching. What is the proper range as far as temp and humidityt for young leopard geckos? I have seen anywhere from 88 on hot side to about 98-99 on the hot side hide. What have you other leo owners found to be the best for stimulating growth and health in babies and juveniles?? I am only asking this because I am sure that I will be able to provide the leo with the right housing conditions to ensure proper health.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Most people are going for at least 92 (floor) on the hot side. Some people do say that they get good results at higher temps but I think 92-95 should do it. THat's a good way to start and will definitely not harm a baby. Once you've had it for awhile, if it seems active (babies may spend a lot of time hiding out; that's not unusual) and is eating an pooping, you're OK with the temps

Aliza

Diggs27

OK; got a 10 gallon glass aquarium with a Zilla carpet as my substrate.....purchased a zoo med UTH today; set it up at approximately 5 o'clock tonight and right now; the temp is reading 99.8 -100.1 degrees F with a zoo-med thermometer w/ probe. Is this too hot now; and if so; what can I do to knock temp down a little. I have not purchased the leo yet as I want to have correct temp for the guy before putting him in there. Was looking at the different dimmers and thermostats; but kinda clueless on what one may be better than the other.

Diggs27

Just came across this dimmer control online; and was thinking maybe this will help to regulate temp a little; but unsure if it will actually work to knock temp down; what would you suggest??

http://www.truevalue.com/product/Credenza-300W-Lamp-Dimmer-White/20283.uts?keyword=dimmers[/URL]

Diggs27

Been monitoring temp and humidity since 6 PM tonight and my readings have been as follows (high side; low side; and humidity):

6:00 PM 98.8 F 84.7F 36%
7:00 PM 101.6 F 86.8 F 35%
8:00 PM 99.9 F 85.4 F 34%
10:30 PM 100.9 F 86.5 F 32%

All temps have been taken with probe of thermometer laying on carpet of aquarium.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's not unusual for the UTH to get too hot. The best solution is a thermostat. The Alife or ESU thermostats which seem the same to me, or the zoomed one are relatively inexpensive. You can get a dimmer (rheostat) which works, but you may have to adjust it as the ambient temperature changes. The lamp dimmer you have the link for is fine. You could probably get one cheaper at Home Depot (assuming you're in the US).

Aliza

Visit our friends