Probe placement

phoneguy

Has anyone ever tried putting your thermostat probe under the substrate? I use paper towels so taping it will not work well. My gecko seems to always move the probe and it makes the temps spike. I am experimenting with taping the probe under the paper towels and monitoring the temps above the paper with a temp. gun. I am thinking it is like how people set up rack systems with one probe for the whole rack and than monitor the tubs. Any Thoughts?
BTW I'm using a herpstat.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Or you can put something with a weight on the probe to hold it down. I tape the probe on a small piece of thin cardboard paper (about 8x10cm), then made a small sand pillow to place on top. The sandwiched probe will stay flat on the floor; at least none of my leos can move it so far.

Here is a pic of how I keep my thermostat and thermometer probe down:
probe.jpg

Last edited:

phoneguy

Or you can put something with a weight on the probe to hold it down. I tape the probe on a small piece of thin cardboard paper (about 8x10cm), then made a small sand pillow to place on top. The sandwiched probe will stay flat on the floor; at least none of my leos can move it so far.

Here is a pic of how I keep my thermostat and thermometer probe down:
probe.jpg

Thanks. thats a good idea. I may use it in the future, but so far so good with the probe taped to the glass floor. The temps seem to be very stable I just need to get used to my thermostat reading 101. I was curious what kind of substrate are you using? I noticed it in your pictures and I thought it looks nice.

phoneguy

i tape my probe on the outside of the cage underneath the glass or directly to the shelf and set the rheostat/thermostat so the temp inside the cage is correct.

I thought about doing that and I wasn't sure how it would work with heat rising and all. But its good to know it works for you. I may try it in the future. Thanks

Visit our friends