Question about calcium powder

P

privatejoker

I have a case of Mrs Wages pickling lime and was wondering if I could use this as the calcium powder. It is a calcium powder. Has anyone used this for there geckos? If not why not use it?

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
I would venture to say don't use it. I never have used it or known anyone who has. My thought process is that calcium designed for reptiles is able to be dissolved adequately by them and is not going to be too strong or anything for them. Also I wouldn't feed them anything that may have potentially harmful chemicals in it either. Just stick with reptile products or at least pet products in general.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I know it is used as a calcium supplement for reef tanks because it is more soluble than calcium carbonate, which most reptile supplements are made from. My main concerns with it's use would be the possibility of oversupplementation because it is more soluble, and also disruption of digestive processes because it is more alkaline than calcium carbonate.

steve905

Since its a pickling powder could it also have a salt base? Can you get a nutritional value chart to review? Just my thoughts......

P

privatejoker

I will take a look at the label tonight. I did use it in reef tanks, thats why I have it. I just wanted to know because I didn't want to waste it. Thanks for the feedback.

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
Substitute Calcium Carbonate??????

I have a case of Mrs Wages pickling lime and was wondering if I could use this as the calcium powder. It is a calcium powder. Has anyone used this for there geckos? If not why not use it?

Never used, no expert, no chemist.
But:
What I have read on it describes as:
pure pickling lime (100% pure calcium hydroxide).
They do offer very similar looking products that
contain salts and spices.
Calcium Carbonate was what I understood
was what geckos need was.
I was told at a farm store that Calcium Carbonate
comes from lime stone and shells.
Which there are many products, for other uses,
that are calcium carbonate.
I use one(supplemented) and have for 3 years.
Seems to work fine from my close observations.

Calcium hydroxide, traditionally called slaked lime, hydrated lime, slack lime, or pickling lime, is a chemical compound with the chemical formula Ca(OH)2. It is a colourless crystal or white powder, and is obtained when calcium oxide (called lime or quicklime) is mixed, or "slaked" with water. It can also be precipitated by mixing an aqueous solution of calcium chloride and an aqueous solution of sodium hydroxide. The name of the natural, mineral form is portlandite. It is a relatively rare mineral, known from some volcanic, plutonic, and metamorphic rocks. It has also been known to arise in burning coal dumps.
heated to 512 °C, the partial pressure of water in equilibrium with calcium hydroxide reaches 101 kPa and decomposes into calcium oxide and water.[1]

A suspension of fine calcium hydroxide particles in water is called milk of lime. The solution is called lime water and is a medium strength base that reacts violently with acids and attacks many metals in presence of water. It turns milky if carbon dioxide is passed through, due to precipitation of calcium carbonate.
Calcium carbonate is a chemical compound with the chemical formula CaCO3. It is a common substance found in rock in all parts of the world, and is the main component of shells of marine organisms, snails, pearls, and eggshells. Calcium carbonate is the active ingredient in agricultural lime, and is usually the principal cause of hard water. It is commonly used medicinally as a calcium supplement or as an antacid, but excessive consumption can be hazardous.

Repeat :Never used, no expert, no chemist.
But IMHO....Do Not Use.
Take care. HJ

Visit our friends