Question about sand

L

ladytrupp

Alright, sooooo I have a question about sand as a substrate. Is it really that bad? All I've ever read about sand as a substrate is that it's bad, can cause impaction (that's obvious enough, especially if the grains are large enough) etc etc. But. Of the seven leos I have, my first two are still kept in a tank in which I use sand as a substrate (the others are on paper towel).

I got my first leo around 3-4 years ago, back when I was blissfully unaware of the dangers of using sand, she's 6 years old. I got my second a year ago, she's 3 years old. I keep them both in the same tank that uses fine-grained sand as a substrate. I have considered moving them to a smaller tank, but my oldest doesn't seem to cope well with small tanks (ever since I got her, I planted her in a 20 gallon and she was constantly trying to climb the walls so I moved her to a bigger tank) and now that the 3 year old has been in the 50 gallon for a year, she doesn't seem to go well with smaller tanks either (she also climbs the walls in smaller tanks - and, these two do best when they're in the same tank). I know that sand is unhealthy and can cause problems with them, but over the amount of time that I've had these two, the sand doesn't seem to affect them at all. Especially the 3 year old, because she tends to kick the sand (idk what she'd kick if there wasn't sand).

So, can I leave them in the sand? They are both perfectly healthy - regular amounts of food (they eat mealworms out of the calcium dish), calcium and water are given to them, and readily consumed - and they don't seem to appreciate change. Not to mention, if I changed to a different substrate like paper towel or tiles, it would probably damage the 3 year old's claws, right? Since she kicks so much?

I just want to make sure. If people really really insist that I switch them over, I will, but I don't want to give them unneeded stress. And if I do switch them over, it wouldn't be until the summer when I move to another house. I would really love to be able to keep them on the sand, at least for now. They have no problem with it! xP

Khrysty

It sounds like you sort of have your mind made up already. Are you looking for reassurance?

There are people on here who insist that sand, with proper husbandry (which you are providing) is not a problem at all.

There are others who'd rather not risk it.

If you know the possible dangers, then it all comes down to a personal choice.

L

ladytrupp

I guess I kind of am, yeah. XD

I was just wondering if sand was just that deadly of a substrate that keeping my leos on it would mean certain death. I know that I'd rather not risk it with my other leos, but putting them on paper towel would mean moving them to a smaller tank (cos paper towel in a 50 gallon is hideous.. >_>; it's a viewing tank. XD) and they don't do well in smaller tanks.

BUT! I was thinking. When I move in the summer, I may very well go ahead and put tile down (with some of those neat caves/hides carved out of packing styrofoam!). The biggest plus about sand is that it's really easy to spot clean. I wonder if i can train my leos to go in sand, if I provided it for them... *ponders this*

anyways this is me just thinking out loud, so yeah. If anybody has any opinions they'd like to shout out, go ahead. I think I'm going to put them on tile when I move out in the summer.

jclee

I also use sand, and I think that it can be done responsibly. I've read that leopard geckos are far less likely to become impacted when they're well hydrated, so be vigilant with their water dish. If you really want to play it as safe as one can with a sand substrate, you could also feed them outside of the enclosure. I don't feel like this is absolutely mandatory, but it would greatly decrease the likelihood of sand ingestion.

Visit our friends