Question about tile

LeopardGeckoGirlie

I currently use paper towels for my littlest LG (8 g) and will so for a while, but my other 2 who are slightly larger are on reptile carpet. I am thinking I want to put tile down instead because 1)I think it will be easier to clean and 2) I like the way it looks :) My question is do they sell single pieces of tile at places like Lowes? and how do you get them to fit exactly in your tank? I currently use a 10 gallon (until they are larger) do I need to measure the tank and see if they can cut the tile for me??

LeopardGeckoGirlie

I'm gonna rephrase my question and hope someone can help me :) Does anyone know the measurements of a regular 10 gallon tank? I found the tiles I want...I just dont know the size of the bottom.

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Just remember to give yourself some room to get them in and out, if they fit too snug it'll be hard to get your finger between the glass and the tile.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The outside dimensions of a 10 gallon are 20"x10" but you have to subtract for the thickness of the glass. What makes it even more annoying is that some 10 gallon manufacturers make their tanks about 1/4" to 1/2" narrower. For a long time I would use six 10"x3" tiles that I got from Home Depot but they stopped carrying that size. Now I cut 12"x12" tiles for a 10"x12" piece and a 10"x8" piece.

There are 2 ways to cut tile: the expensive way is with a "wet" cutter which is like a table saw that sprays water. This is what Lowe's has if they can cut your tile. The cheap way is to get your own hand cutter (I have one made by Qep called a "12" tile cutter" that I got for about $15). This is a little platform to put the tile on and then you slide the top piece to score it and push down to break it. Google "tile cutter" to see what it's like.

If you're going to have Lowe's cut the tile, either measure your tank on the inside, or, if you haven't had much measuring experience, actually bring the tank into Lowe's and they'll probably be willing to take care of it for you.

Aliza

Visit our friends