Question about UTHs with paper towel

Shera

My question is, can I (temporarily) use a UTH (exo terra heat wave, medium for desert) without a thermostat under paper towel, and how many layers of paper towel do I use? I do have 2 thermometers with probes.

Background:
I just rescued some leos (you can read my story here: http://www.geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=54486), and we don't yet have a UTH in place. I have a 75w IR bulb and a heat rock (terrible I know, but it's worked for them for 2yrs and not yet malfunctioned *knock wood*). I went right out and got a UTH but wasn't able to find a thermostat for it. I was intending to still look, but I'd like to get it in place before then (it will probably require a couple of hours of driving, or 2 weeks of shipping to get a thermostat), I just want to get that darn rock out of there, but I don't want to freeze (or cook) them in the process. Right now I have paper towel as a substrate but we are planning to use tile once I get it cut (ours is just a fraction too wide).

Taquiq

JK Herp
Yes that is fine but I would reccomend 3 layers of paper towels. I have an Exo-Terra UTH that only gets to about 97 so I use it without a thermostat on one of my glass tanks.

Angel

i use the exoterra desssert uth in my tank without the thermostat and use papertowels i usually do 2 layers just for easier cleanup and its fine . Put your probes on the bottom of the tank where the heat mat is so you have an idea on temps mine sits about 90 so i use a low watt house bulb in my heat lamp during the day and it warms it to the 95 area.
but your temps will vary depending where your tank is drafts etc and weather it very cold here.

Shera

Once you get the new one that works...make sure it doesn't get too hot before you place the gecko in. Better to be safe then sorry.

Will do. I have thermometers so I will make sure the temperature isn't rising anymore and isn't too high before I put them back in, and I'll monitor it frequently over the next few days. If I can't make it work with the papertowel I will go back to my original plan which was tile, maybe with a few layers of papertowel underneath to insulate if needed.

Shera

I got the new UTH in there with the 75w IR bulb. I'm only seeming to get up to about 91.5 though. and the cold side is still only 65ish. Maybe I need a higher watt bulb. On the plus side I actually saw them both come out of hiding and hang out on the warm side today.

M

mushraeddur

Ugh, the UTH I bought is defective, it's not warming up at all. I guess I'm heading back to the pet store tomorrow.

I'm using a zoomed that covers 1/2 my tank...it works great. I do use two 25w moonglows which are on all the time to give it the bump i need (my house temp in winter is 68 degrees).

Shera

Ok, I put the temp. probe between the 2 paper-towel layers (I figure if it was sand it would be placed down into the sand, so I guess this is equivalent), and we are up to 96F! My leos look happy and are out and about when they used to hide a lot. We feed tomorrow and I'm excited! I got more crickets for hunting and then some superworms just incase they don't catch many. I got 4 waxworms for treats too. I figure I'd give them one each after I clear up the crickets, and before I dole out the superworms (thier hunting skills leave some to be desired, lol).

M

mushraeddur

Ok, I put the temp. probe between the 2 paper-towel layers (I figure if it was sand it would be placed down into the sand, so I guess this is equivalent), and we are up to 96F! My leos look happy and are out and about when they used to hide a lot. We feed tomorrow and I'm excited! I got more crickets for hunting and then some superworms just incase they don't catch many. I got 4 waxworms for treats too. I figure I'd give them one each after I clear up the crickets, and before I dole out the superworms (thier hunting skills leave some to be desired, lol).

Sounds great! Glad to hear it's working for you. My juvenile leo likes to come out at night and I often see him sitting next to his warm hide. My leo's hunting skills are pretty impressive. He rarely misses what he's aiming at. I have a humid hide on it's way in the mail now. I haven't fed him anything but crickets so far...but I will look into getting him some meal worms (if i can find someone local who sells them).

F

fashion-robe

hi

We use those under 3 paper toewls any thermostats and never had problems.

Shera

Sounds great! Glad to hear it's working for you. My juvenile leo likes to come out at night and I often see him sitting next to his warm hide. My leo's hunting skills are pretty impressive. He rarely misses what he's aiming at. I have a humid hide on it's way in the mail now. I haven't fed him anything but crickets so far...but I will look into getting him some meal worms (if i can find someone local who sells them).

The pet s***t here sells all sorts of feeder insects, if you have one nearby you should check there.

Visit our friends