question on shorter tail leo

viperidae

hi guys, i got a question here.
i have a leo which the tail is shorter than normal one.
my question is, will it affect the offspring if i happen to breed her?
i mean like the offspring will also have shorter tail?
thanks

Srt14292

Est; 1992
Short answer..No.
Leos can drop their tail like many other geckos, at any time, but it will not grow back the same, so the offspring will have normal tails like all their other leo mates.

viperidae

thanks for the reply. BUt in this case, the leo was borned short tail, will not affect the offspring as wel?

Baoh

thanks for the reply. BUt in this case, the leo was borned short tail, will not affect the offspring as wel?

More often than not, deformities, including tail deformities, are developmental anomalies rather than genetic ones. You can breed such a leo unless such a leo starts producing messed up offspring. It will most likely be fine.

I tend not to encourage breeding of deformed animals if I have suitable substitutes, by the way, just to improve my chances of avoiding potential freak occurrences that actually are genetic.

eric

OREGON GECKO
More often than not, deformities, including tail deformities, are developmental anomalies rather than genetic ones. You can breed such a leo unless such a leo starts producing messed up offspring. It will most likely be fine.

I tend not to encourage breeding of deformed animals if I have suitable substitutes, by the way, just to improve my chances of avoiding potential freak occurrences that actually are genetic.

Very well put.:main_thumbsup:

Kyee

Sorry to hi-jack, but I'm wondering, why do some breeders put geckos up for adoption because their tail is slightly crooked at the end or something, if it's not genetic?xD

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
Simply stated, it is because they can not prove it is not genetic (without test breeding). Some people stand very firm that if the tail has i kink to never breed it for the possibility that it is genetic and others feel as though its not genetic and see no harm in breeding them. So if it is up for adoption due to tail kinks then they most likely believe it has a chance of being genetic and they do not want to risk it.

viperidae

thanks a lot for the great replies.
btw, besides test breeding,any other way to determine whether it is genetic a not?
like looking at the same batch sibling?

Visit our friends