Questions.(enclosure, heating and lighting)

Bubbles

I am thinking about getting a leopard gecko and I have a few questions

1. Is a 40 gallon tank to big? I have an extra 40 gallon tank from one of my past hamsters and I was wondering if I can use it for a gecko.
  2. Can someone explain the lighting/heating thing to me as I am having some trouble understanding it?
  3. how many different types of insects/worms should I feed?
  4. What’s the best supplements (calcium and mult-vitamin) to use in the US?
  5. Can I see any pictures of your enclosures for inspiration?
  6. what is the start up cost?

Thanks,
bubbles

The lizards

I use a 40 gallon for one of my leos, the other 2 have 15 longs but need upgrades. For leopard geckos, they do not need lighting to live, as long as you are dusting with calcium with d3. For heating, I use heat mats just because that's what I think is most beneficial for them as they generally do not bask, but you can also use a heat lamp, deep heat projector, or a ceramic heat emitter. I mainly feed crickets, mealworms, waxworms as a treat, and sometimes hornworms. I am hoping on trying locusts though. I use zoo med calcium with and without d3, and rep cal herptivite multivitamin. (I get all of these at petco or petsmart.) I will attach photos in a different response. The start up cost really depends on how much different decorations you put in, the different brands of stuff, the morph of the gecko, etc.

The lizards

These are my 3 adult tanks at the moment.

Attachments

• 1C616B7C-3EEE-486C-974B-860AC65BF1EC.jpeg
    1C616B7C-3EEE-486C-974B-860AC65BF1EC.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 23B50766-B7CD-447F-B612-1D7FB5F23A74.jpeg
    23B50766-B7CD-447F-B612-1D7FB5F23A74.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 85ABFA34-525D-4ECA-846E-0BD4E5AE63EB.jpeg
    85ABFA34-525D-4ECA-846E-0BD4E5AE63EB.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8

Bubbles

Also is eco earth safe?
I’ve heard that its bad but I’ve also heard that it is a great option what are your opinion on that?

The lizards

I use eco earth in my tanks. Just recently though I was in the middle of a tank build and didn't have any substrate. The store didn't have any eco earth, so for one of my tanks I have what I believe is Thrive natural coconut fiber substrate, which is very very similar to eco earth. For my substrate, I use a big part of eco earth, about a handful of forest floor substrate, sphagnum moss for humid pockets, some bark, and crumpled leaves. All of this stuff is not absolutely necessary, but I feel like it creates a more natural environment for the leos.

Bubbles

What type of calcium and vitamin powder do you use?

is this okay calcium-https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-repti-calcium-d3-reptile/dp/124402?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Zoo%20Med&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk-fig6rg8gIV3weICR2tNwBwEAQYASABEgLEFfD_BwE

is this okay multi vitamin-https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-reptivite-d3-reptile-vitamin/dp/124410?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Zoo%20Med&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIguSz7arg8gIVBPjICh2zMwHMEAQYBiABEgK1QfD_BwE

I really don’t know if these are good so if not please don’t attack me lol

EDIT: do the links work?

panthergecko

Absolutely no double dosing of D3

Info Taken from another forum but go with:

Zoo Med's Repti-Calcium with Vitamin D3

Zoo Med's Repti-Calcium WITHOUT Vitamin D3

and

Zoo Med's Repti-Vite multivitamins WITHOUT D3

If you need the link I will DM you it

Bubbles

Absolutely no double dosing of D3

Info Taken from another forum but go with:

Zoo Med's Repti-Calcium with Vitamin D3

Zoo Med's Repti-Calcium WITHOUT Vitamin D3

and

Zoo Med's Repti-Vite multivitamins WITHOUT D3

If you need the link I will DM you it
thank you!

Can you give me the links?

NearMeGeckos

You'll need 3 hides. A heated one, a cool one, and a moist one. For the moist one I use a piece of damp paper towel. For the hot one, you can get a heat mat appropriate for the tank size plugged into a thermostat to regulate the temperature. You will need to get a thermometer and humidity gauge, set the probe on the mat. Humidity should be around forty and temp about 90. My geckos love reptile hammocks, I'd also recommend adding some fake plants as decoration. For lighting I use an under counter led light. Most leopard geckos go poo in the same corner, I put a piece of paper towel there so it makes for an easy clean up. I'd recommend a non adhesive under counter lining for substrate. You can get a tun of natural colors. I personally go to Walmart for that. Its SUPER easy to cleen, SUPER cheap and there is no risk of impaction. I would never recommend eco earth or any other loose substrate. When I first got geckos many years ago, I was told it was super safe. My gecko died from impaction. There was nothing the vet could do for her, It was a slow, painful death. Why risk it?

For food, wax worms, hornworms, and butter worms as a weekly treat. Mealworms, crickets, roaches, super worms, and locus as a normal diet. Under 6 months need fed 5 small food every day. 6 months to a year 8-12 medium food every other day. 1 year plus 10-20 large food every 3-4 days. Feed nothing fatter then the space between there eyes. T-rex leopard gecko super food is my go-to supplement. They need fresh water every day or every other day, and free choice calcium and vitamins in a small dish.

Your 40 gallon will be perfect.

Get your leopard gecko from a reputable breeder and not a pet shop as they will be way heather.

Visit our friends