Random Question about my Leo

S

ST4CE

Hey Everyone,

Firstly Merry Christmas :D hope everybody has a nice day.

My question today is... My Leo Aurora.. Ive had her now for nearly 2 months and she still doesnt get on my hand unless I take her moist hide out with her in it an she still hesitates but I have handled her a few times a week to get her used to me but even though its progressing I was wondering should she still be hesitant by now? She comes straight out when she knows im opening her food tub to feed her and she feeds from me straight away its just the handling really... An shes very jumpy aswell. Anyway any info would be useful thanks :)

x

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some geckos will never jump into your hand (none of mine do). Some of these won't mind at all if you take them out and then they'll happily explore.

Aliza

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
It really depends on the gecko. I have a few that want to climb on me whenever I'm nearby; but I also have a few that won't voluntarily climb up my hand - but they won't freak out either if I had to pick them up.

Latlaw

My big Gus likes to climb us on our hands to be taken out. Hank doesn't voluntarily ask to be taken out but seems to enjoy it when we do. I'm still too scared to take the girls out because they are younger, quicker, and more skittish.

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
Yea, totally depends on the leo. Out of the fifteen that I have, only one is like a dog, lol. Everytime I come near the cage, he comes straight to the glass ready to be let out. All I have to do is put my hand down and he comes right over, ready to climb on me. He is awesome... and the others... dont quite act like that. lol. I didnt do anything special to get him like that, he just is...

G

geckoavenger

My youngest one is really jumpy when there is a loud noise or someone makes a sudden movement. Neither of them come out to be handled, I always have to search for them & then pick them up. It just depends on the gecko, they have personalities just like different people do.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Out of my six the three males are all relaxed and don't mind handling, while the three females are jumpy and can be nippy at times. :freak:

supremegecko

Wally - Supreme Gecko
It is interesting to see how every gecko behaves differently in a collection. Some will come out and look for food right away, some will retreat then poke their noses out slowly to find out what is going on, and finally some will hide and just not come out.
Great points- all geckos are different and will react differently in different situations.

S

ST4CE

Thanks for all your replies, feel more relaxed now. Yeh she does wait at the glass sometimes if shes hungry, or if she knows im openin the viv to feed her. I was thinkin of gettin another leo but im unsure if they'll fight? I dont mind gettin anothrr viv but i would of liked to put another one with her too. I would really like a mack snow or a super snow, do they all have diff temprements for each morph or are they pretty much the same apart from obviously each having individual personalitys as does every animal.

Thanks again for info x

ILoveGeckos14

I'm not sure if I've noticed a difference in the mack snows but I know raptors are usually pretty chill and I've heard blizzards are fiesty! A lot of times two geckos together ends up with one being dominant over the other but I have also heard that it works for some. My experience is that they do better housed individually. :)

Holly12

My two female leos don't jump my pearl she is one that likes to move around on my hand she nevers sit still and Abby she sits still on my hand so like the others said it all depends on the gecko. :)

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I'm not sure if I've noticed a difference in the mack snows but I know raptors are usually pretty chill and I've heard blizzards are fiesty! A lot of times two geckos together ends up with one being dominant over the other but I have also heard that it works for some. My experience is that they do better housed individually. :)

I think so too, it is best to house the geckos seperately.

My raptor is the most active gecko I have; he comes out as soon as I turn on the red light, he'll even come out during daytime if I made noises in the gecko room. He'll keep on climbing the front glass until I pick him up! And no, he is not after warmth or food, he just wanted to get picked up.

mindgamer8907

I agree my gf's blizzards are always edgy. Albinos seem to act similarly. Still, temperament is more individual. I too vote you at least buy a separate viv/setup and keep it on hand and check them every day to see that they aren't fighting, if they are, you always have the option of separating them. I would probably keep them separate from the start though.

Visit our friends