rapashy grub pie

kaikorcha3

My leo hasnt eaten for about 5-6 weeks. She is on antibiotics for a mouth infection and they also treated her for parasites. She has been having CCF and pedialyte baths for the last week. She weighs 9 grams and is roughly 4 months old. She super skinny however today she ate a small piece of grub pie . What I need to know is how much grub pie to feed her . Should I leave some in the tank or just tong feed small amounts for now. She didn't want any more when offered. Is this stuff really concentrated ? I'm unsure how much to offer the label makes no mention of how much would constitute a normal feed ?

Neon Aurora

Looking into it, it's pretty concentrated. The article I read says they use over 1000 black soldier fly larvae (AKA "phoenix worms") to make 1 ounce of it. Always with thin animals it's best to start with a small amount and build up.

I'm honestly a little skeptical that an insect eating reptile would take to this stuff, but I've never used it, so I'm not sure. You could try leaving some in the tank and see if she eats it. If she takes it willingly, then I would just feed her the amount she accepts and leave it at that. Monitor her weight closely, maybe even every day, so you can tell if she is getting enough food.

kaikorcha3

She has been eating three small pieces a night she goes for it as if she loves it . I wasn't convinced at first either but she refuses meal worms and quite often wax worms . Although she has ate two waxes in the past week. I've just bought some locusts to try her on now I'm just gut loading them.
It may be that it is very soft on her sore mouth and also stinks awful so attracts her to it . But I'm not complaining her swab came back from the vet last week and tested positive for pseudomonas but the vet said if she keeps this up she will sign her off as fit on Monday and considering three weeks ago she was on deaths door I'm very happy at the moment .

Last edited:

Neon Aurora

I'm glad to hear she is doing so much better. =) Thank you for being such a dedicated leo owner and taking your animal seriously. And I'm glad to know about the Grub Pie. Maybe I'll grab a bottle to have around. I do have a male that was shipped to me and hasn't eaten in 2 months, so maybe it will tempt him.

I wish you all the best, and keep us updated. =)

kaikorcha3

I'm glad to hear she is doing so much better. =) Thank you for being such a dedicated leo owner and taking your animal seriously. And I'm glad to know about the Grub Pie. Maybe I'll grab a bottle to have around. I do have a male that was shipped to me and hasn't eaten in 2 months, so maybe it will tempt him.

I wish you all the best, and keep us updated. =)

Its worth a try . I prefer to tong feed it though so it's fresh when she has it ,I find it dries out quickly when left in the tank possibly because of the warmth. It's really easy to make up and lasts two weeks in the fridge . Hope it works for you :)

And thankyou you for the kind comments . I never thought when I bought her for my son that I would really take to a lizard but she's become my new baby and I can definitely see how People end up with ten 

Visit our friends