Red light in tank

T

tozhan

im searching around for a red light so that i can observe my gecko at night without disturbing him with a normal light bulb. im aware that leos are dont disturbed by red light wavelengths. Does anyone know where i can get a red strip light or other red light source from??

gko reptiles

A New Generation
PetsMart, PetCo, Pet Supply, Pet Baazar, Petzamillion... Any pet store will have a red light bulb. When we had tanks (a VEEERY long time ago) we used 60 watt red bulbs from PetsMart! They work great! Good Luck with your leos!

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I'm using the ZooMed 60W Red bulb, they seem to work fine. A few years ago, I tried those black bulbs (they suppose to replicate natural moonlight...) and I would never use one again. Not only I can't see my leos at night, they emitted so much heat that blew 2 of my light fixtures.

T

tozhan

ok thanks, i did wonder about those night light things.
My vivarium is 30"x15"x12" with a 20w heatmat under one end which keeps the temperature around 25-27C (80F ish). i plan to keep the redlight on for about 8 hours during the night, isnt a 60w bulb going to overheat the tank? can i get 20w or 40 w versions?

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
I use some of these as "night lights" downstairs so that I can see what I'm doing without bothering the animals' light cycles. They're just a red screw-in fluorescent party bulb. They don't throw off heat, and use comparatively small amounts of electricity.

RedLight.jpg

Visit our friends