Reptile Show

shadowdragon619

Finds me a dragon!
So, i'm going to this reptile show in Valpo, Indiana, on saturday. I've never been to one, and i plan on getting my first leopard gecko here.

can i ask some dumb questions about reptile shows? i know they're all different, but i was wondering kind of what to expect.

and my other really kinda dumb, but big question is, do they give you something to take the reptile home in, or should i buy something to put them in and bring it along to the show?

thanks!

Adinar

I just went to my first one last month and am planning on going to one again Aug. 1st. All the breeders that I say had little plastic containers that the geckos were in on display, so just gave them to you in that. I did, however, take alone a critter keeper (was only planning on getting 1, but ended up getting 2 that day.). When we went to leave I took the one out of the small container and put it in the critter keeper. It had a hide and all that, so was way better than that tiny plastic one. We later went to my folks house, and I just kept switching them in and out until we got them home and put them in the 29 gallon tank.

Adinar

I just went to my first one last month and am planning on going to one again Aug. 1st. All the breeders that I say had little plastic containers that the geckos were in on display, so just gave them to you in that. I did, however, take alone a critter keeper (was only planning on getting 1, but ended up getting 2 that day.). When we went to leave I took the one out of the small container and put it in the critter keeper. It had a hide and all that, so was way better than that tiny plastic one. We later went to my folks house, and I just kept switching them in and out until we got them home and put them in the 29 gallon tank.

holy spelling errors. lol. I'm sure you get the point. hehe.

shadowdragon619

Finds me a dragon!
holy spelling errors. lol. I'm sure you get the point. hehe.

yeah, i did, lol, its okay. i cant spell very well either.

another random question, for anyone...how much do breeders typically sell thier geckos for? i was just wondering so i know how much money to bring with.

Adinar

Usually depends on what you're looking for.

You'll see some that are like 10-20 bucks and it'll seem like it's too good to be true. I saw alot like that, and they all looked horrible. Skinny, malnurished, shed problems.... you name it. Not worth it.

Others are reasonably priced. And there's actually a few breeders on this forum who work at shows like these that could probably give you a better idea of rough pricing.

I purchased my midnight blizzard and tremper albino females for a whopping 55 bucks. Both were good weights, nice fat tails, energetic, and didn't visually have anything wrong with them.

It really depends on how much you're willing to spend.

ajveachster

More than likely you will be able to find those morphs for under $100 (probably under $50 depending on the market in your area), unless it has some other hets that make it more unique. Does the show have a list of vendors? You may be able to look up some of their pricing online. The best bet is to ask a lot of questions, and if it is your first time you may even want to write them down beforehand so you don't feel overwhelmed when you get there. Find out how the breeder takes care of the animals. Also, sometimes we have walked right by a table that had poor looking animals even if they weren't expensive. The shows we've been to are pretty basic. You will have some vendors that have pegboard displays for supplies only, no animals. There will be vendors that specialize in feeders. Some will have tank displays with their animals for sale. Others will have plastic boxes or deli cups with their animals for sale. One suggestion I have is to look at animals that are clearly labeled. That doesn't mean you have to be able to read the hand-writing, but the vendor should have something indicating what the morph and sex is. IMO a good breeder will know that they can't remember every detail of every animal, and knows to keep a written record. Some vendors will also have care sheets, or example setups for you to look at. If you do decide to make a purchase typically the gecko will go home with you in a deli cup. If you are concerned you can always take something along to transport your new gecko. Also, if you find a breeder there that you have dealt with before, sometimes you are even able to show them an animal you are interested in to get a second opinion. It never hurts to ask before spending your money. The worst thing that can happen is the person who is selling the animal says no. Sorry if this is TMI, but I just tried to cover pretty much everything I normally see.

I havent been to one so i am in the same boat. I am looking to get a female at the daytona expo. See you all there and I learned alot from these tips.

spartcus

If your not looking for anything special. I would go the last day of the show. You can usually bargain with the seller. Since most of the stuff they are selling they are trying to get rid off to make more room.

If you see one you like but doesnt look that healthy dont buy it. You probably want to find a seller that has all their leos looking healthy. And if you buy more then one they usually will work with you on a good price.

Visit our friends