Rescued AFT

bjleemkuil

I found an ad on craigslist for a set of AFTs for $15. By time I was answered the male was gone and the female had been gotten by the cat. She dropped her tail, and has a few puncture marks on her underside, it also looks like part of a claw of hers is missing. She is also very thin. She's not very old I can tell as she's about 4.5" long, but she only weighs 15g. I don't think this is healthy. Can anyone tell me a range of acceptable weight for a this little girl? I will be posting pictures tomorrow if I get the chance.

cryptid_hunter

Wow, that is absolutely sickening. Some people just shouldn't own reptiles. And how in the world does someone "accidentally" let a cat get ahold of a fatty, how freakin careless can you be. I know accidents happen, but that's just ridiculous. The owner(s) obviously didn't care if the AFT's lived or died, sounds like an obvious impulse purchase immediately regretted.

Sorry for the rant, but that's just appalling.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have found that AFT's seem to be smaller/lighter for size than leos. That's probably somewhat underweight. The only thing to do is to make sure any cat cuts are clean, to give her time to relax a bit and to keep offering food till she starts eating. Once she does, feed her every day.

Aliza

bjleemkuil

Here She Is

DSCF2811.jpg

DSCF2810.jpg

DSCF2809.jpg

DSCF2808.jpg

DSCF2807.jpg

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
She looks like a fresh import (one of those fresh ones in really bad shape)..once she starts eating she should do okay, also make sure she is drinking water, that is very important.

Bellalee

Letting a cat get ahold of a gecko is not hard, btw they might not be "bad" people. My cat got a hold of my gecko who shimmied out through holes in the cage, I woke up to him hissing at my cat. Thank goodness I did.

cryptid_hunter

Letting a cat get ahold of a gecko is not hard, btw they might not be "bad" people. My cat got a hold of my gecko who shimmied out through holes in the cage, I woke up to him hissing at my cat. Thank goodness I did.

Oh I'm sure it's not hard, I have no problem believing that, lol. I live in a house with 5 snakes, 4 geckos, 1 beardie, 3 pitbulls, and 2 ferrets and I've never have any of my herps get injured by any of the other animals, or any animals get injured by another, larger, predatory species. All the herp's cages are secure and none can get out, so their safety is assured. As keepers it's our responsibility and duty, if we keep these creatures, to make sure they have a safe environment to live in, nuff said.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I would think that similar to leos, a black belly in an AFT is enlarged liver which I think is more likely when it is not well nourished. I think with consistent feeding this could get better, but someone with more medical knowledge should chime in now.

Aliza

bjleemkuil

Seriously, cats get nosy and so do Geckos! =) She said she just needed to downside. The other herps she had looked fine, maybe she just didn't know what to do with this one.

cryptid_hunter

Yeah, well I don't mean to be too critical, but having some rescue experience and seeing the horrible things that happen to herps from carelessness, that could have easily been avoided, kinda get to you after a while. And while I'm sure it was an accident, things like that just can't be allowed to happen. Anytime I get my herps out I put my dogs in their kennels first, and when my dogs are out my geckos are locked securely in their cages. I could let 10 cats loose in here and they couldn't get to my geckos, they all have locking cages. So, I just don't see how that can happen really if a person is careful, ya know? The cats and geckos shouldn't be around each other, one is predator and the other prey.

bjleemkuil

Yeah, well I don't mean to be too critical, but having some rescue experience and seeing the horrible things that happen to herps from carelessness, that could have easily been avoided, kinda get to you after a while. And while I'm sure it was an accident, things like that just can't be allowed to happen. Anytime I get my herps out I put my dogs in their kennels first, and when my dogs are out my geckos are locked securely in their cages. I could let 10 cats loose in here and they couldn't get to my geckos, they all have locking cages. So, I just don't see how that can happen really if a person is careful, ya know? The cats and geckos shouldn't be around each other, one is predator and the other prey.

Okay, but things happen and some people don't think about things like that! She's in a different environment now and cats wont be around her. She'll be able to grow and thrive like she's supposed to. I was just simply asking about weights. ^^;;

Visit our friends