Reseal an Exo Terra tank?

acharpenter

I bought a used ExoTerra terrarium (I already have 2 for my other Gecko's)

Just like this one - http://justforpets.oversupplywarehou...18-x18_i106034

The bottom glass is cracked so I have 2 options for fixing and looking for opinions

These tanks are built specifically for under tank heaters so I believe the past owners droppped something on the glass to crack it rather than thinking the under tank heater they had on it caused it to crack.

The tank will never be holding water - just my Gecko's - and none of their hides are so heavy they would crack the tank

Also - keep in mind I will be installing an under the tank heater on the bottom glass so there may be more cracking since it has already started?

Here is my options

I have a scratched up 40 breeder aquarium that I can cannibalize in order to replace the bottom glass

OR

I could just seal the crack with silicone

I have no problem doing the work to replace the panel if need be but if I can just silicone the glass - that would obviously be easier...

Thoughts?

Tanggecko

Gecko Whisperer
I would try and use aquarium safe silicone first. Ive used it many times. Just Put a thin line of silicone over both sides of the crack and smooth it over with an old credit card or scraper. I don't think the heat would be a problem.

If you decide to replace the bottom you may be able to buy a piece of glass. I believe aquarium glass is tempered. I think it would be hard to get a piece of glass out of the other tank without it breaking.

100_1072.jpg

Last edited:

acharpenter

I would try and use aquarium safe silicone first. Ive used it many times. Just Put a thin line of silicone over both sides of the crack and smooth it over with an old credit card or scraper. I don't think the heat would be a problem.

If you decide to replace the bottom you may be able to buy a piece of glass. I believe aquarium glass is tempered. I think it would be hard to get a piece of glass out of the other tank without it breaking.

Kinda what I am thinking/hoping - just don't want to take the leap without more opinions than just mine

Thanks!

Visit our friends