Rookie Mistake

geckolvr88

Alright, here it goes, please don't be too harsh on me, I know I've messed up pretty bad.

Here's the story:

I have my two "juvie" leos, Slim and Smiley. I buy a new little guy from a chain store, a baby, and bring him home. I keep him in his own tank for a few weeks, but decide that I need to make him less noticable, so I put him in a divided 20g long with the girls. He was divided off from them. At this time, he was eating every other day, and I thought he'd be putting weight on soon. Well, he hasn't put weight on, and started refusing food. I thought that the problem was that the girls were stressing him, because the divider wasn't that well sealed, and there would be security breaches, in which I'd find one of the girls in his moist hide the next morning, only a couple of times though. So I duct tape the divider and make it better sealed for him. The day after I did that he took worms. Today I find them thrown up, and a weird whiteish puddle of something in his tank as well.

About the setup: All of the temps check out, he's got a cool hide, a moist hide, and a warm hide, it's a pretty basic set up as not too stress him. He's also, of course, got a water "dish" and calcium suppliment (without d3).

I'm going to bring him to the vet on monday. But I have a few questions.

1) How contagious are parasites? In other words, when I bring him to the vet, should I also bring the girls, as they escaped into his cage, and the air in the two cages was interchangeable?

2) Can I feed him some baby food to try and produce a stool?

3) How new and fresh does the stool need to be?

4) What on earth could that whiteish substance be? I can take a picture and post it if it's necessary.

I think that's all the questions I can think of right now.
I really appreciate the help in advance. I know there are 243245432095 of posts saying someone needs help, and there are always great and knowledgeable people to respond, so I thank you guys!

geckolvr88

Ok, so no pictures of the white stuff. I HAD to clean it out of there, it smelled SO bad.

Also, he hangs out in his moist hide all the time. I'm not sure if that's some kind of sign, but I'm trying to give you guys as much information as I can.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
If your setting and temperatures are right, I would give him a bit more time. He could just be stressed, since the girls are entering his territory and you had been working on the divider. But if he continues to give watery stools and regurgitate, then perhaps a trip to the vet with fresh stool sample is a good idea.

geckolvr88

I've had him for a month and a half? I'm not entirely sure, but I do know in all that time he has not put on any weight. I suppose I'll wait a little longer. I'm just super paranoid about him being sick, and causing the girls to be sick as well.

RampantReptiles

He would be much better off in his own tank. I wouldnt risk any kind of contamination between the guys/gals. Make sure to wash hands before and after handling anything of his or theirs.
Babies need to eat daily. Babies eat a ton, need food to grow. If he is stressed that might make him not eat/regurgitate. If this goes on too long then you are definitely looking at a vet visit and possible parasite problem.

Unless the girls are showing signs of parasites then I wouldnt worry about it.

As far as baby food, probably some pumpkin or squash would be ok. Or give him some slurry.

Usually want the stoole as fresh as possible. Anymore than a day and its no good. I believe you can keep a sample in the fridge for a day and it still be good. Any vets office should be able to verify how to take a stoole sample and such.

Not sure about white stuff... what has he been kept on? something like papertowels is best for a new baby. what did they keep him on in the store? possible it could be undigested substrate? Or undigested food stuffs?

geckolvr88

I'm not sure about the white stuff. He was kept on paper towel in his own tank, and now he's on tile. He was on repti-cartpet (surprisingly) at the store.
All I know is that stuff smelled to high heaven.

Believe me, I try to feed him daily, he'll only take food about every other day though. Not me feeding him every other day.

I definately practice safe handling, with the whole washing hands and what not.

So far they are not showing signs of parasites, and are eating like champs.

Thanks for the advice.

Visit our friends