Salt Dough Decorations!

morphmom

These were made for my bearded dragon to bask on.

(This is the one I like the best and is in use:D)
100_2800_zps6b8c2b8e.jpg

(This is the one I like the best and is in use:D)
100_2802_zpsc908c376.jpg

100_2791_zps4f7205cb.jpg

100_2796_zpsacbff274.jpg

Obviously, a basking spot, doesn't help out the Leo. I thought this technique could be used for decoration like DIY rocks. Just to make a viv more interesting.

The Leo Plan:
So, I'm thinking that I could make a pretty awesome hide with this material. I'm going to take a tin foil bread pan and place a silicone liner on the outside (instead of the inside) I'll then take individual salt dough shapes and form around half of the pan until I achive a cave like structure.
I'd like a male, so flowers are out! LOL!: I may do vine work instead.

I love doing this! It's super fun, super cost effective, and there's very little mess.

Opinions?
-Holly-

NikkiC223

That looks AWESOME! That is such a good idea about making the hide out of it, never thought of that! I may have to try. I've made salt dough projects before but they always crack in the oven. What are the ingredients you use and how much? I would like to try! Great job!!!

morphmom

Ah, the oven crack! It took me along time to fix that issue.

I use equal parts salt and equal parts white flour. Then just add enough water to make a "play dough" consistency. Here's the trick: Add one or two drops of veggie oil! It makes a beautiful smooth dough with far less cracking. It takes a little longer to dry but I think it's well worth it.

I highly recomend adding the food coloring in with the dough, though some prefer to paint. (I am Not a painter! LOL!)
I bake my pieces at 200-205f so there's less chance of browning, until stable, then leave to air dry (saves hydro) Seal with modge podge and you're all set.:D

DO NOT MICRO-WAVE!
You can pop small thin pieces in the micro wave without any issues. The large pieces however, seem to go softer in the centre and all but melt in your hand when you take them out. (I learned this the hard way)

Thank you for your compliment. I really had fun doing this. :)

NikkiC223

Ah, the oven crack! It took me along time to fix that issue.

I use equal parts salt and equal parts white flour. Then just add enough water to make a "play dough" consistency. Here's the trick: Add one or two drops of veggie oil! It makes a beautiful smooth dough with far less cracking. It takes a little longer to dry but I think it's well worth it.

I highly recomend adding the food coloring in with the dough, though some prefer to paint. (I am Not a painter! LOL!)
I bake my pieces at 200-205f so there's less chance of browning, until stable, then leave to air dry (saves hydro) Seal with modge podge and you're all set.:D

DO NOT MICRO-WAVE!
You can pop small thin pieces in the micro wave without any issues. The large pieces however, seem to go softer in the centre and all but melt in your hand when you take them out. (I learned this the hard way)

Thank you for your compliment. I really had fun doing this. :)

Haha yeah the oven crack! I'll have to try it again with the veggie oil, and adding some food coloring in while its mixing! Honestly, that is such a great idea! They look awesome, thanks again for sharing!!!

NikkiC223

So I decided to try a salt dough creation since you inspired me to do so! It is currently in the oven for the last time to make sure it is all the way cooked. I took pics of the progress so I will update you and put them on here to show you! I'm so excited, we will see how it looks! Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Wigglebucket

So I tried to make some salt dough, and maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but it's just a little too squishy and not very mold-able. Maybe I added too much water? Should I just keep adding flour until I get a better consistency?

morphmom

Yep. You always want to add as little water as possible to start. The dough should be just a touch firmer then "play dough" If it's to sticky, then just add enough flour to balance it out.
Salt dough can be hard to work with, it depends on what you're going for. Hope I helped a little, let me know how it goes:)

NikkiC223

@Morphmom- So I made the hide and it was pretty good for my first time. I put it in the garage to finishing drying after I painted it and let the fumes dissipate. I went in to get it and my son (2 1/2 years old) apparently got a hold of it and broke it :( I was very sad since I worked hard. But I'm going to attempt to make another one but made out of fiberglass. I'll let you know how it goes.

morphmom

Oh dear:( I'm very sorry all your hard work ended up for not. I have a 7yr old and know all about it. They never mean to, but stuff happens and this is how I think we earn our future wrinkles! I can't wait to see the fiberglass one though! That's something I've never thought of! Now I'm excited to see how it turns out. Maybe I'll try it!:)

Visit our friends