Scared Leos

FloridaNature

Learning
I have a trio of Tangerine Girls Leos, 5-6 months old, that I bought in mid October and even though I feed them daily & clean their tubs 2-3 times a week they act like I am a raptor coming in for the kill...they scurry like roaches!?

Do Leos eventually "get" that I am the food source and calm down or do they require daily handling to achieve that?
I do hold & then weigh them once a week but they chirp, squeak & try death defying leaps to get away!?

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Michael

ctleo203

my gecko comes outa hiding to watch me as long as she isnt mad at me which they get over. they stress real easy so like the less you do besides feed and water the better i guess. you gotta rly slowly introduce your hand to them maybe just leave ur hand in tank for awhile.over a couple days slowly moving closer.

M

mckyle

I know most people won't agree with this, but I've handled Domino daily since the day I got him. This may help your geckos out and get used to you more easily - however, I can't be sure since Domino was already a very tamed gecko when I got him.

SassyAbi

I say more handling will get them used to you. Even if its just 5 mins a day. Try 5 mins a day for 2 weeks im sure you will see a difference as they know you will pick them up everyday and be used to you doing it so they wont squirk n squeak as much :)

Khrysty

I know most people won't agree with this, but I've handled Domino daily since the day I got him. This may help your geckos out and get used to you more easily - however, I can't be sure since Domino was already a very tamed gecko when I got him.

I've always done the same with all of mine. They all (except for the newest adult blizzard male--he's sort of a jerk) don't mind being held and will sleep up on my shoulder or in my shirt. It's cute ^.^

So, in my experience, the more handling, the better :)

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I think you have to move VERY slowly and talk to them in the softest voice when they're still not familiar with you. When they no longer sprint away, slowly put your hand in front of them. If they're not too scared, they'll come near and check out your hand, and eventually walk onto your hand ---> a bond is made! Yay!

Courtney Bailey

I too take all my geckos out once a day, hold them for a bit, and then put them back. Sometimes they still chirp at me, but that is normally when they are woken up.

clink51

im having the same problem...i heard warm water on your hand gets them comfortable so u can always try that if u wish

Visit our friends