sexing

mainelygeckos

ok so I cannot get a pic of the underside of my tangs but they weigh 20 and 22 grams..both appear at this point females but one looks slightly dif. are they still too small to sex? not sure of age..got one on March 22 and was quite small but more then double the size now tht it was then and the other I got early april is the 22 grams one and I am almost positive that ones female. the other one is 20 grams and has very small bulges but not real pronounced and no pores yet. both females or still too early? pics of both are in other of my posts as well as my album. They do not like to stay still and I have a crappy camera so no pics of bellies sry just a guess I imagine but any input from you all would be great. Oh and when I weigh them on my scale I have to use a container and tare it bcause when I place them on without the container their weight is wayyy lower then with it. Something wrong with my machine? lol and is using the container giving me an accurate reading?

ajveachster

Oh and when I weigh them on my scale I have to use a container and tare it bcause when I place them on without the container their weight is wayyy lower then with it. Something wrong with my machine? lol and is using the container giving me an accurate reading?

The scale sounds fishy. If you tare it with the container you should get the same weights as you do without the container unless a tail is resting outside the platform. Do you have the instruction manual for the scale? It may tell you how to recalibrate the unit.

mainelygeckos

ok well I weighed them individually on two dif scales without a container and Willow was 20 grams Stubs was 24 grams Maia was 32 grams and Maximus was 64 grams. This time I made sure their tails were on the scales lol made a big difference :p both scales said the same weight so I guess this time it was accurate.

ARiES

THE GECKO MAN
to sex leos look at the vent (above there poop hole) if there are two bolges and a bunch of little pores that shape a visible V then its a male if niether of these things are to be found then your leo is a male..this should help
Sincerely, Aries

mainelygeckos

IDK I think they are too young to sex I mean one I am almost positive is female but the other has me stumped. No pre-anal pores yet but very small bulges that the other doesn't have. When I think tho I got that one in March and was very small. I have had that one about 2 months so I think that would make it 3 months maybe a bit more but not much more. Prolly still too young to sex it then. I have an adult male so I know what to look for I think I am just impatient to find out lol. Really that is the only one I am not sure of as the other is most def female and I have a new female and an adult male. Will wait another month lol and will see then :p Thanks for your inputs :D

ARiES

THE GECKO MAN
wow i made no sense in my first post lmaoooo i ment if there are no bulges nor pores visible then its a female..how old are the leos you are trying to sex??if they around around 6 months they're usuallie easie to sex

mainelygeckos

well I got one as a gift for my bday on March 22 and the other we bought on April 10 at Pet** so idk how old they def are am guessing by the size they were when purchased. The gifted one was quite small so I would think no more then a month when I got it so would make it about 3 months old now. The other a little older. I really tried to look for pores and thought i saw some tiny holes but still not positive so have to wait longer I guess :/ I am so impatient for them to grow lol they are changing so much in color especially the one I got for my bday! I initially thought it was a normal turns out to be Hypo Tang poss super hypo and carrot tail, lots of carrot tail, and poss baldy. We will see I guess

mainelygeckos

I wanted to bump this from May 28th to say that the underside of Willow has not changed in any way and I do believe it to be a female. I have another whom I also believe is female and am now thinking on housing them together as they have gotten bigger and were in the same tank with a seperator. Willow and Stubs are both about 4 -5 months old if going by weight. Stubs hit the 30 gram mark and Willow is at 22 grams because she decided to go on a 2 week hunger thing and only ate sparingly but is now eating and I feel better. Willow has not developed any pores and from seeing pictures on sites of males at 17 grams with quite noticable bulges I am gonna assume Willow is female. Now my question for bump is..what's your opinion? I did house them together for about a day until I said 'wait what if ones a boy' and seperated them again. that was a couple months ago. I would like to utilize the space of the 20L for them both without being seperated to give them both more room. They are getting bigger and want them as comfotable as can be. I do however have a 10g tank in case I do need to seperate due to agression but want to use that tank for something else if I can so wanted to try this first. Thanks for any resposes!

mainelygeckos

Pictures

Ok so I did what I could with my digital camera and these were the best two pictures of Willows underside. Tell me if you think boy or girl tho I think girl. Keep in mind I recieved Willow on March 22 and the (edit) first picture is of when I first got it so compare if you will the possible age she is. Boy or girl? She weighs 22 grams. Thanks

Last edited:
C

corvettefan

I would say male, only because in the first of the two underside pictures, I see two little "boy bumps"

mainelygeckos

hmm ok is what kept me guessing to begin with but they are very small AND no preanal pores. still too young? cause I am getting frustrated with my own impatience :p

Visit our friends